- Main page
- https://lia.lvivcenter.org/en/themes/cinema-in-lviv/Stories
ID: 68
Related buildings and spaces
-
Vul. Kopernyka, 9 – cinema "Kinopalats Kopernyk"Read more
A cinema founded in 1912 operates in the building at 9 Kopernyka St. Throughout its 100-year history of activity, the cinema changed its names and owners: "Sans-Rival" (1912), "Kopernik" (1912–1941, 1944–1946), "Studio" (1941–1944), "Kopernik" (1944–1946), "Kopernik Cinema" (1946–2004), and "Kinopalats Kopernyk" (since 2004).
-
Prov. Kryva Lypa, 8 – the first film screening in LvivRead more
On September 13, 1896, the first film screening in Lviv took place in the Hausmann Passage at the photo studio of Marcin Appel. The screening lasted several minutes and was presented daily from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. until October 10, 1896.
-
Vul. Kopernyka, 1 – cinema in the Mikolasch passage (no longer exists)A cinema operated in the Mikolasch Passage at the beginning of vul. Kopernyka under a succession of names and owners: "Urania" (1901–1907), "Cinephon" (1907–1911), "Kuchar" (1911–1915), "Pasaż" (1915–1935), and "Ton" (1935–1939). The "Lux" cinema operated nearby (1912–1924). Later, a new cinema named "Uciecha" (1926–1941) was opened in its place. On June 22, 1941, the Mikolasch Passage was destroyed by a German aerial bomb.Read more
-
Vul. Liubinska, 93 – cinema (no longer exists)Read more
The "Oktiabr" Movie Theater was constructed in 1980 at vul. Liubinska 93 based on a design by architect Liudmyla Nivina. In the late 1980s, it was renamed "Zhovten", and later "Halychyna". The movie theater has not fulfilled its original functions since the 2000s; for a time, a radio market operated in its lobby. The building was demolished in 2013.
-
Vul. Horodotska, 36 – Lesia Ukrainka Lviv Dramatic TheaterRead more
The former Catholic House (architects Ignacy Kędzierski and Adam Opolski) was built in 1909 at vul. Horodotska 36 (formerly ul. Gródecka 2b).
-
Vul. Bandery, 34 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
Grażyna cinema was founded by Joachim Schall in 1912, and it worked until 1939. This was the first case in Lviv that a building was designed specifically to accommodate a cinema. The project was developed by Roman Feliński.
-
Pl. Danyla Halytskoho, 1 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The "Sztuka" cinema was founded by Marek Pariser in 1926 in the Chamber of Crafts building. In 1934, it was renamed "Bałtyk" (290 seats, manager Franciszek Adamski). Between 1941 and 1944, the cinema operated under the name "Kosmos." Later, it was renamed "Komsomolets." It remained in operation until at least November 23, 1946.
-
Pl. Henerala Hryhorenka, 3 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The Vaudeville Cinema opened in July 1912 within the premises of the Shareholders Cooperative Bank, located at present-day pl. Henerala Hryhorenka 3. The Warszawa Cafe was also situated on the building's ground floor. The cinema remained in operation until 1921. Today, the building houses the Lviv Region Department of the Ministry for Internal Affairs of Ukraine.
-
Vul. Kurbasa, 3 – cinema (no longer in operation)The building of the former variety theatre at vul. Lesia Kurbasa 3 hosted the following cinemas: "Casino de Paris" (1911–1916) and the "Red Cross Cinema" (1916–1918). Today (as of 2013), the building houses the Les Kurbas Lviv Academic Theatre.Read more
-
Vul. Horodotska, 285 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The building at vul. Horodotska, 285 located within the premises of the Narodnyi Dim, was home to a cinema that operated under several names and owners: "Metal" (1946–1949), the "V. Chkalov Cinema", and "Arlekino" (1949–1990).
-
Vul. Tarasa Bobanycha "Khammera", 1A – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The building housed a cinema that changed names and owners several times: Pax (1935–1939), Saturn (1941–1944), 27 July Cinema (1944–1946), and V. Korolenka Cinema (1946–1990). Until 2017, the premises housed the Russian Cultural Society named after A. S. Pushkin. Since 2018, it is home to the "House of the Warrior".
-
Vul. Lychakivska, 7 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
A movie theater named "Metro" operated in the rear wing of the building at what is now vul. Lychakivska 7 from 1934 to 1944. It was highly popular among locals due to its low ticket prices. Following World War II, the space was converted into workshops for repairing cinema equipment.
-
Vul. Vitovskoho, 43A — restaurant building (former cinema)Read more
The Druzhba cinema was built in 1952 according to a typical design in the so-called Stalinist Empire style. The auditorium was designed to seat 300 people. The cinema was located in the B. Khmelnytskyi Park of Culture and Recreation at ul. Dzerzhynskoho 4 (now vul. Vitovskoho).
-
Vul. Kulisha, 23–25 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
In the former Herman Passage, within a theater building that no longer exists today at vul. Kulisha 23/25, the "Colosseum" cinema operated from 1908 to 1917 and from 1927 to 1939. Its auditorium could accommodate 1,054 spectators. The cinema enjoyed significant popularity, especially among the poorer segments of the population. The building was destroyed during World War II.
-
Vul. Dudaieva, 8 – former cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The "Teatr Swietlny Sokola Macierzy" cinema operated within the building of the Polish "Sokół" Sports and Gymnastics Society at what is now vul. Dzh. Dudaieva 8 between 1913 and 1939. All proceeds from its activities were dedicated to the needs of the society.
-
Vul. Akademika Hnatiuka, 20–22 – cinema (no longer in operation)The building at 20–22 Hnatiuka Street housed a cinema which changed its name several times: "Wonderland" (1912–1913) and "Jagiellońskie" (1913–914). They were owned by the well-known cinema entrepreneur Melchior Meiblum. With the outbreak of World War I, Meiblum left Lviv and almost all of the cinemas he had founded ceased to exist.Read more
-
Vul. Akademika Hnatiuka, 20–22 – residential buildingRead more
The building was built under a project designed by Ferdynand Kassler and Roman Feliński, noted Lviv architects, and developed at the architectural bureau of Michał Ulam. It is an illustrative example of a residential townhouse, whose modern plasticity combines architectural elements and the sculptural decoration made by Zygmunt Kurczyński. The building is an architectural monument (protection number 770). Now it is used for dwelling purposes; the ground floor premises are occupied by the City railway ticket offices for advance sale.
-
Pl. Henerala Hryhorenka, 5 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The building at pl. Henerala Hryhorenka 5 housed a cinema that operated under several different names and owners over the years: "Marysieńka" (1918–1941), "Moskva" (1944–1948), and the "Pioner" children's cinema (1965–1990). In 1941, the State Theater of Miniatures operated here, and during the German occupation, it served as the SS and police theater. As of 2013, the building is home to the Lviv Academic Spiritual Theater "Voskresinnia".
-
Vul. Zelena, 88 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
A cinema operated in the building at 88 Zelena Street under changing names and owners: "Bajka" (1932–1944) and "Zirka" (1944–1997). Today (2013), the premises house the "Picasso" nightclub.
-
Vul. Zelena, 88 – "Picasso" club buildingRead more
The building at No. 26 on vul. Zelena (now No. 88) was constructed in 1932 according to the design of architect Dominik Vuchović for the Polish Confraternity of the Good Death at the Church of St. Mary of the Snows (Pol. Polskie Towarzystwo Bractwa Dobrej Śmierci).
-
Vul. Kushevycha, 1 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The "Sviatovyd" cinema was established in 1938 inside the House of Community Workers of the City of Lviv. From 1941 to 1944, it operated under the name "Ton."
-
Vul. Kushevycha, 1 – City's Hotkevych Palace of CultureRead more
The three-storied building with a basement and an attic was built in 1933–1938 under an project designed by architect and engineer Tadeusz Wróbel as the Club of the Union of municipal workers of the city of Lviv. It is an example of Modernist brick architecture with dominant features of rationalism and the so-called "Krakow stylization decorativism".
The building is an architectural monument of local significance. According to the Lviv regional executive committee's resolution number 280 dated 21 May 1991, it was assigned the protection number 1613.
-
Vul. Lychakivska, 131 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
A movie theater operated in the building at what is now vul. Lychakivska 131 under changing names and ownership: the "Y. Halan Movie Theater" (1955–early 1990s) and the "I. Mykolaichuk Movie Theater" (1990s). Today (as of 2012), the theater building houses a book depository for the Vasyl Stefanyk National Scientific Library of Lviv.
-
Vul. Fedkovycha, 54-56 – Railway employees' building of science and cultureThe building was designed by Romuald Miller, a renowned Warsaw architect, and constructed by Henryk Zaremba, a Lviv builder. It was finished in 1937.Read more
-
Vul. Bankivska, 5 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The building housed the following cinemas: Sinephon (1906–1907), Luna (1907, 1926–1930), and Polonia (1930–1931).
-
Vul. Volodymyra Velykoho, 14A — Lviv Film CenterRead more
The Orliatko cinema opened in 1978 in a building constructed in the center of the Horikhovy Hai park. This cinema was designed for children. Following Ukraine's Independence, it was renamed Sokil. While the cinema ceased operations in the mid-1990's, it reopened in 2003 for occasional screenings. In 2015, the Lviv Film Center opened here — an educational hub and cinema dedicated to independent and arthouse films.
-
Vul. Lychakivska, 99 – cinema (not implemented)Read more
The "Patria" movie theater was scheduled to open in 1939 in the building at what is now vul. Lychakivska 99. However, due to the outbreak of World War II, the theater never began operations.
-
Pl. Dvirtseva, 1 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The "Vokzal" cinema operated from 1951 to 1989 on the second floor of the Lviv-Pasazhyrskyi railway station building. It was a small-scale venue.
-
Vul. Hrabovskoho – former poster billboardRead more
An advertising poster billboard on the wall of the St. Lazarus Monastery fence (present-day vul. P. Hrabovskoho) belonging to M. Herenyk's poster placement establishment (the office was located at ul. Berka Joselowicza 22, now vul. M. Balabana).
-
Vul. Hrabovskoho – former st. Lazarus' convent wallsA fragment of the wall of the former monastery and hospital of St. Lazarus (1630–1640, architect Ambrosius Prykhylnyi) at the corner of Kopernyka and Hrabovskoho Streets.Read more
-
Vul. Kulisha – billboard (no longer exists)Read more
Advertising billboards for posters on the gable walls of the houses at the former vul. Soniachna 30 and 34 (now vul. Kulisha), belonging to M. Herenik's billposting establishment (the bureau was located at ul. Berka Joselewicza 22, now vul. M. Balabana).
-
Vul. Varshavska, 39 – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
The Kotlyarevsky Cinema operated from 1949 to 1965 at 39 Varshavska Street. The building was demolished in 1982–1983 after the roof collapsed.
-
Vul. Kopernyka, 3 – cinema project (not implemented)Unrealized project of a built-in cinema with an entrance from the yard of the Assicurazioni Generali company.Read more
-
Vul. Horodotska – cinema (no longer in operation)Read more
A building on present-day vul. Horodotska was home to a cinema that operated under a succession of names and owners: "Splendid" (1933–1935), "Słońce" (1935–1938), and "Gloria" (1938–1942). In late 1942, the building was destroyed by fire.
-
Vul. Zamarstynivska, 130 – cinema (no longer in operation)A cinema named after Taras Shevchenko (the "T. H. Shevchenko Cinema") operated in the building at present-day vul. Zamarstynivska 130 between 1946 and 1958.Read more
-
Vul. Antonovycha, 80 – residential buildingOnce belonging to a family of athletes, the Kuchars, the villa is an example of an wealthy family estate in the city. It was built under a project designed by Zygmunt Pszorn in 1910. The house embodies the idea of rational architecture, which developed more in the interwar period. Its functional comfort is supplemented by landscape design which is in accord with the garden city concept.Read more
-
Vul. Kopernyka, 9 – cinema "Kinopalats Kopernyk"
-
Prov. Kryva Lypa, 8 – the first film screening in Lviv
-
Vul. Kopernyka, 1 – cinema in the Mikolasch passage (no longer exists)
-
Vul. Liubinska, 93 – cinema (no longer exists)
-
Vul. Horodotska, 36 – Lesia Ukrainka Lviv Dramatic Theater
-
Vul. Bandery, 34 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Pl. Danyla Halytskoho, 1 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Pl. Henerala Hryhorenka, 3 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Kurbasa, 3 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Horodotska, 285 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Tarasa Bobanycha "Khammera", 1A – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Lychakivska, 7 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Vitovskoho, 43A — restaurant building (former cinema)
-
Vul. Kulisha, 23–25 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Dudaieva, 8 – former cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Akademika Hnatiuka, 20–22 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Akademika Hnatiuka, 20–22 – residential building
-
Pl. Henerala Hryhorenka, 5 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Zelena, 88 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Zelena, 88 – "Picasso" club building
-
Vul. Kushevycha, 1 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Kushevycha, 1 – City's Hotkevych Palace of Culture
-
Vul. Lychakivska, 131 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Fedkovycha, 54-56 – Railway employees' building of science and culture
-
Vul. Bankivska, 5 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Volodymyra Velykoho, 14A — Lviv Film Center
-
Vul. Lychakivska, 99 – cinema (not implemented)
-
Pl. Dvirtseva, 1 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Hrabovskoho – former poster billboard
-
Vul. Hrabovskoho – former st. Lazarus' convent walls
-
Vul. Kulisha – billboard (no longer exists)
-
Vul. Varshavska, 39 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Kopernyka, 3 – cinema project (not implemented)
-
Vul. Horodotska – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Zamarstynivska, 130 – cinema (no longer in operation)
-
Vul. Antonovycha, 80 – residential building