Vul. Pekarska, 61 – former St. Joseph asylum
The two-storied building of the former St. Joseph orphanage was commissioned by Julia Haller and built in 1873-1874, probably under a project designed by engineer B. Rostowski. In the same year the Franciscan Sisters of the Most Holy Sacrament moved into the building. Today it is occupied by the municipal institution "The Lviv Regional Bureau of Forensic Medical Examination".
The construction of the orphanage is connected with the arrival of the Franciscan Sisters of the Most Holy Sacrament in Lviv at the end of 1873. Initially the nuns lived in the so-called house "Na Rurakh" in what is now Konyskoho street; however, in 1874 they moved into a newly built orphanage opened by Julia Haller on Pekarska street (plot 49). The neighbouring plots 45 and 47, corresponding to the modern numbers 55-59, were also purchased for them. The latter plots were soon (in 1880) bought from the Franciscan Sisters by the Resurrectionist Fathers. However, it is likely that the nuns lived at the orphanage of Julia Haller till the late 1880s when the monastery on Kurkowa (Lysenka) street was built and consecrated.
The orphanage project was designed by engineer B. Rostowski. The building was given its exterior Neo-Renaissance appearance in 1893 (architect Jan Tomasz Kudelski). It was also then that a single-storied extension from the north was constructed (the works were carried out under the guidance of master Henrik Müller). In 1931 this part was completed under a project designed by Wawrzyniec Dayczak. It should be emphasized that the institution was called "The St. Joseph orphanage for children" at that time too.
After the Second World War the orphanage was closed down. Its premises were occupied by the regional bureau of forensic medical examination. The last major repairs and an expansion of the premises took place in 2013-2014 when the building’s appearance has been changed considerably.
This is the oldest brick building on the odd side of the upper part of Pekarska street. Nowadays the building has lost its original appearance, at the same time preserving its spatial structure. The area located to the west of the building is fenced off from the street by pillars with metal grating. The building is elongated in the depth of the area, built of brick, plastered and painted; its south shorter end overlooks Pekarska street. The main entrance is arranged from the west. The two-storied building has some additional rooms in the attic. In plan, it consists of two blocks: a higher south one and an elongated north one. In the south block, there is the former chapel which crosses the total volume transversely and projects with the apse sides outward from the west. The main entrance to the building is arranged from the south. The south and west façades have preserved the original Neo-Renaissance elements in their design: corner pilasters, linear rustication of the ground floor, window trimmings with keystones on the axis. In contrast to that, the roof constructions have been replaced completely. Between the rear façade windows a niche is arranged where the lost figure of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception was recreated in the 21st c.
The building’s north part was constructed in two stages. Its design is more modest, the seven axes of windows have no trimmings. The external architectural elements include a wide projection of the shaped cornice and a bar laid between the floors. The entrance is arranged in the depth of the building. The east façade has smooth walls and an uneven distribution of window openings.
As regards the style of the building, some elements of the Neo-Renaissance have survived; the building has preserved its structure, but, in general, has lost its exterior aesthetic appearance.
Vul. Pekarska, 55-59 – ensemble of the former Resurrectionist Congregation monastery
Show full description
B. Rostowski – an engineer.
Wawrzyniec Dayczak (1882-1968) – an architect, teacher and political figure.
Henryk Müller – a constructor.
Julia Haller – the founder of the orphanage.
Jan Tomasz Kudelski – an architect, the author of architectural projects in Galicia, mainly in Stanislav; a Talerhof prisoner.
- State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO), 2/2/2324.
- DALO, 2/2/2325.
- DALO, 2/2/2326.
- s. M. Rafaela Rapacz OCPA, Lwowskie ślady w kęckim klasztorze Klarysek od Wieczystej Adoracji.
- Мельник Ігор, Львівські вулиці і кам’яниці, мури, закамарки, передмістя та інші особливості королівського столичного міста Галичини (Львів: Центр Європи, 2008), 319.