Vul. Kotlyarevskoho, 25 – residential building

ID: 342
This three-story apartment building (1908-1909; Ivan Levynsky project bureau [co-authored by Ivan Levynsky and Oleksandr Lushpynskyi?]) forms an ensemble with the neighboring house no. 23. The building is constructed on the slope of a former ravine and is surrounded by a garden-recreational territory which is in harmony with the picturesque landscape. The decoration of the rounded front wall is a deviation from the traditional approach of planning facades of a “curtain” type. Internal planning design is sectional. This is an example of late Art Nouveau architecture.


Building period:

The project was approved on 31 July 1908; the construction was completed on 26 September 1909 (SALR 2/1/5250/15).

Related Stories


This stone building is located deep in the parcel on the slope of a hill on the ascent from the valley of the Soroka stream; former Vuletska Road (today Sakharova Street) was built along its channel.

Planning and Design:

The building is located in the rear of the parcel and is surrounded with a garden-recreational territory. It has two wings – eastern and western wing, each located at a wide angle from the main structure. The floor plan is V-shaped. The house no. 25 forms an ensemble with the neighboring building no. 23. These two buildings create an integral trapeze-shaped block with the apex turned to the north.

This three-story building has additional premises in its socle level, which is developed throughout the incline of the parcel.

Vertical segmentation prevails in the façade composition. A small buttress projects on the eastern wing. The central part of the façade deepened between the wings of the building has a spherical surface embraced by the platforms of the balconies on all the floors. The deepening gives the character of a loggia to the balconies. Expressive plastics solution of the façade wall show a deviation from the tradition of façade-curtain design.
On the façade of each of the side wings two windows are arranged. Balcony doors are flanked with a pair of narrower windows in the rounded central section of the building; four mansard windows are set up under the cornice. The windows are rectangular, except for the side windows on the first floor which have a semicircular top with profiled framing. The narrow rear façade oriented on the south-west has two window slits on the level of each floor.

A pyramid-shaped additional story is set up in the center of the roof; it is crowned with a spire. Its sharp silhouette accentuates the central section of the façade over the rounded strips of balcony-loggias. The relief of the gable roof is enlivened by projections of the mansard roofs.

The portal with three narrow windows of the entrance lobby is attached to the left side of the building. The staircase in the eastern wing is moved under the fireproof wall. Apartment sections, one per each floor, fill up the center of the construction and the western wing. Their internal plan is organized according to the principle of a two-tract system. Premises of the front and rear row are separated by a corridor repeating the V-shaped plan of the building.

Style and Decoration:

The style of the building is late Secession.

Decorative finishing includes ceramics: tile panels 15x15 in size with mirror caps-heads set up at seam intersections. Ceramic frieze covers the perimeter of the façade above the windows of the upper floor. The vertical strips of ceramic tiles run under the windows of the second and the third floors. Forged balcony fences and corbels, gratings of the portal doors and stair railings as well as a decorative steeple over the roof are other décor components. The socle is covered with broken stones. A decorative effect of different plaster textures is applied in the façade finishing.


Architect: Ivan Levynsky. The signature and stamp of the Levynsky building company is on the archive plans. The project was developed in detail by one of the architects connected with Levynski company and bureau in the late 1900’s. It was possibly Oleksandr Lushpynskyi.

Owner: the client of construction and the first owner of the building was Marian G. Kuczyński.


  1. Справа з будівництва будинку на вул. Котляревського, № 25 – Державний архів Львівської області (ДАЛО), ф. 2, оп. 1, спр. 5250.
  2. Жук І. Архітектура Львова кінця ХІХ – початку ХХ століть: спадщина Івана Левинського та його фірми // Львів: Історичні нариси / За ред. Я. Ісаєвича, М. Литвина, Ф. Стеблія. – Львів: Інститут українознавства ім. І. Крип’якевича НАНУ, 1996. – С. 260.

Material compiled by Ihor Zhuk