Vul. Kopernyka, 40 – "Rusalka Dnistrova" Museum
The bell tower of the former Church of the Holy Spirit (presently the Museum of "Rusalka Dnistrova," a branch of the Lviv Art Gallery). The tower served as a bell tower of a former seminary’s Greek Catholic Church of the Holy Spirit, which was rebuilt in the nineteenth century from the Baroque Roman Catholic Church of the Barefoot Carmelites; the latter was erected in 1729. The church was destroyed during the Second World War and only its bell tower has been preserved. In 1987, museum premises were added on the west.
This stone building is square in its foundation, three-tiered, with a Baroque top and vases hewn from stone standing on the corners. Each of the tiers is flanked with pilasters and semi-columns, while the windows have semicircular tops. A clock (dating to 1786 and repaired in 1987) is located on the tower.
The entry was developed within the project "Galiciana", 2001-2002
Material compiled by Ihor Zhuk
Media Archive Materials
- Kopernyka Street
- Courtyard of the former Greek Catholic Holy Spirit Seminary
- View of The General Theological Seminary
- Part of destroyed by Nazi bomb Holy Spirit seminary church
- Holy Spirit church, destroyed by German aviation
- View of destroyed by Nazi bomb seminary church of Holy Spirit
- Ruins of Holy Spirit church on Kopernyka street