Former ul. Pańska, 3 – residential building
In the place where the present building or, more precisely, its northern part is situated on Bohomoltsia street 1, a smaller townhouse stood in the 19th century. It was a two-storied house, probably built in the late 18th century. It was repeatedly reconstructed in the following century. In general, it was a typical townhouse. It was dismantled in 1905 when Bohomoltsia street was being laid.
In the 16th-18th centuries in the place, where present Bohomoltsia street is now, there was one of the bastions belonging to the fourth line of the city fortifications (the so-called “Berens line”). When the fortifications were dismantled by the Austrian authorities, a large plot was formed and marked later with conscription number 508 4/4 (after the introduction of the modern address system in 1871 it was Pańska (now Franka) street 5).
The area, where Bohomoltsia street is now located, was depicted on a 1780 plan by Anton von Pintershoffen; two stone townhouses and some wooden houses were sketched there. At the end of the century (probably, in the very last years of it) a villa or a small suburban palace was built there. At first it was a rectangular building with a small avant-corps in the center of its main façade, designed in Neo-Classicist style. A stable with a cart-shed (in the northern part of the plot), wooden utility buildings, and a front townhouse (in the northwestern corner of the plot; today it is a part of the building № 1) were also located on the parcel. This condition lasted until about 1870.
In May of 1870 the owner of the plot № 508, doctor Zygmunt Rieger, sold a part of it with the front townhouse to Ferdynand and Józefa Kwiatkowski. The contract of purchase stated that the plot area was about 920 sq. m. (DALO 2/1/121: 2). This area was marked out as a separate real estate under conscription number 607 4/4 (from 1871 Pańska street 3). The house had two floors and a seven-axis symmetrical façade. It consisted of a front part and a small wing, where toilets must have been located. It bordered the neighbouring building (Pekarska street 2) in the north while in the south there was a bit of undeveloped land. A garden was laid out in the courtyard. At the owners’ initiative, a shop was arranged in the building; with this in view one ground floor window was redesigned as a door (DALO 2/1/121: 9).
For several years the Kwiatkowskis had difficulties with the Magistrate because of a defective wooden sewer pipe for draining rainwater from the courtyard, which flooded the sidewalk on the street; for some reason they failed to repair it (DALO 2/1/121: 17, 18, 58). In February of 1873 they sold the house to Herman Dorman (DALO 2/1/121: 48). However, in May of the same year the latter resold the house to Hippolit Olszewski and his wife Paulina Olszewska, née princess Woroniecka, who lived in their own house located on Drukarska street 6a in what is now the central part of the city (DALO 2/1/121: 55). In the summer of 1873 they added a small single-storied one-room building to the wing intended for a caretaker.
In August they sold the house to Alfred Młocki, a member of the Austrian Parliament (1870-1874) (DALO 2/1/121: 66). Alfred Młocki initiated a considerable reconstruction of the building; the townhouse was extended, its planning being changed: new crosswalls were constructed, two rooms were added in the south, and a large L-shaped wing was also constructed (one part of it had two floors, while the other, back part was single-storied, and it was there that a stable and a cart-shed were located) (DALO 2/1/121: 61). The reconstruction project was designed by Wojciech Haar, the city constructor, in August of 1873. The building permit was issued by the Magistrate on condition that fire-resistant materials would be used for roofing as well as for covering galleries connecting the house’s front part with the wing.
It was probably Młocki who owned the house until his death in 1882. The next owners were Helena Bal, née Maniewska, and Stanisław Jakób Bal, a director of a private insurance company.
In 1903 Ivan Levynskyi (Jan Lewiński) was commissioned by Klementyna Witosławska, who owned the neighbouring plot number 508 4/4 (Pańska street 5), to develop a project of laying a new (Bohomoltsia) street (DALO 2/1/121, 113, 117). Helena Bal decided to build a new house on this street, so in 1905 the old townhouse was dismantled. The project of the new building, which has survived till our time at the address Akademika Bohomoltsia street 1, was designed by architect and builder Jan Schulz (DALO 2/1/121: 121).
The area can be seen on a 1780 city plan which clearly shows that in the east and south the plot bordered the edges of a bastion. In the north it bordered a plot elongated from the west to the east (it is where houses 2-12 on Pekarska street are situated now).
On a late 18th century map a house, located in the northwestern corner of the plot, is marked as a rectangular one. A 1870 contract of purchase mentions that it had a 7-window main façade. More detailed information about this townhouse comes from 1873 when it was thoroughly reconstructed under a project designed by Wojciech Haar for Alfred Młocki.
After the 1873 reconstruction it was a row townhouse adjoining the neighbouring house on Pekarska street 2 in the north. The two-storied house was built of brick and plastered; it had basements and flat wooden bridgings. The roof was covered with tin. The building was U-shaped in plan and had an L-shaped wing. The rooms in the front part and in the wing were connected by galleries. The 9-window symmetrical main façade was decorated in the Neo-Renaissance style. Its central axis was accentuated by a gate and the second floor balcony on consoles. The ground floor walls were decorated with banded rustication while the second floor walls were covered with thin chamfered rustication; the floors were separated by a cornice. The ground floor windows were segmental, the second floor windows were rectangular with typical linear pediments on consoles. The façade was crowned by a cornice.
In general, after 1873 it was a typical townhouse decorated in the Historicist (Neo-Renaissance) style. Typically of that time, larger and better lit living rooms were located in its front part and were arranged in an enfilade. Various utility rooms, including lavatories, were located in the wing; a stable and a cart-shed were located in its single-storied rear part.
Helena Balowa née Maniewska – co-owner of the building
Zygmunt Rieger – medical doctor, owner of the real estate #508 4/4.
Hipolit Olszewski – co-owner of the building
Klementyna z Bochdanów Witosławska – owner of the real estate #508 4/4, initiator of construction of the Bohomoltsia street
Paulina z ks. Woronieckich Olszewska – co-owner of the building
Stanisław Jakób Bal – a private insurance society director, co-owner of the building
Józefa Kwiatkowska – co-owner of the building
Jan Schulz – architect
- State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO) 2/1/121.
- Skorowidz krolewskiego stolecznego miasta Lwowa (Lemberg, 1872).
- Skorowidz krolewskiego stolecznego miasta Lwowa (Lemberg, 1889).