Vul. Zolota, 32 – stadium
The Stadium was built between 1933 and 1939 in a hilly part of Lviv known as the Pylypivka Heights near the Jewish Cemetery on Kleparova. It was owned by the leading Jewish Athletic Society in Galicia, the Hasmonea Club, founded by Adolf Konn in 1908. During the Soviet period the stadium was called Torpedo Stadium. It no longer serves as a sports facility. A market was opened on the territory in the 1990s, working there until 2008. Plans to reopen the stadium were never realized.
In June 1908 an athlete by the name of Adolf Kohn spearheaded the formation of a municipal Jewish Gymnastics-Athletic Association, founding several sport clubs: Dror, Zenit, Makabi, Yutshenko, Zionit, Akoakh, and Hasmonea. The Hasmonea Club – named for the Hasmonead Dynasty, the ancient manifestation of the Hebrew people’s fight for religious and political independence – was the leading organization in the Association. Two years after its founding, Hasmonea joined the second division of the Austrian Football League of that time, and finally, in 1927-28, the first division of the Polish League.
The first sports club of Jewish Gymnastics-Athletic Association was laid out on Yanivsky Road in the Levandivka district in 1908, developing football and track-and-field teams there. In time the club expanded and by 1932 boasted squads in 12 different sports (Piłka, 1996, p70). In the spring of 1920 the Hasmonea Club received permission from the city magistrate to build its own sports arena on privateland in the Lychakivska Pasika district. On July 7, 1923 the Jewish Community celebrated the opening of the newlybuilt stadium (Orłowicz, 1925, 10, 240). At the time it was largest sports facility in Lviv (per V. Gorbay’s city plan, published 1931, 1938 and 1939). The stadium could hold 10,000 with seating for 2,000 in the grandstands. The opening was marked with an internatonal match between Hasmonea and the Budapest Vivo club.
On 28 November1932 the stadium was lost in a fire. Hasmonea Club leader Maurycy Richter championed the cause and the club received land on the Pylylvska Heights, where the construction of a new stadium was begun, completing in 1939 (Księga, 1939, 65). Although Hasmonea offered a number of types of sport, all of them were overshadowed by the Club’s football team which competed in the Polish Championship League. Its leading players -Zygmunt Schteuermann,Izydor Redler, Ludwik Schneider(Sznajder) – played for the Polish National Football team. Among other prominent footballers to play for the club were Filip Schliaff, Zygmunt Blumbenblat, Matej Gokh, Maksimilian Gorowitz, Henrich Grubel, Natan Isaak Zuker (Piłka, 1996, 69-70; Lwów i Wilno, 92-107).
In September 1939 the Hasmonea Club was disbanded. During the Second World War its territory was occupied by the Yanivsky concentration camp. During the Soviet era the stadium was granted to the Torpedo Sports Society. In the 1990s, a clothing market was open on the territory, operating until 2008. The territory no longer serves as a sports facility.
Today the former Hasmonea Stadium is neglected. Its grandstand has been preserved, but the field and racing tracks and the stairs leading to the grandstand are overgrown with weeds. The columns and metal gates of the main entrance are still in place, as well as a one-storey administrative brick building. The stadium is partially walled in concrete block. Prior to the 2012 EURO Champonship the city discussed plans to renovate this architectural sports herritage site, but the idea wasn’t realised.
Adolf Kohn– founder and first head of Hasmonea Jewish Sports Club
Maurycy Richter– Head of Hasmonea Jewish Sports Club, initiator of the new stadium on Pylypivksy Heights
Izydor Redle – Hasmonea Club footballer
Ludwik Sznajder – Hasmonea Club footballer
Zygmunt Schteuermann – Hasmonea Club footballer, a participant in the historic November 1941 “Death Match”
Taras Shulyatski – Lviv Karapty Club footballer and longstanding Director of Torpedo Stadium
“Hasmonea: a Century Has Passed”. Vysokyi Zamok, Lviv, March 16, 2009.
Księga pamiątkowa poświęcona 35-leciu działalności Lwowskiego Klubu sportowego “Pogoń” 1904–1939. Lwów: 1939. p65
Lwów i Wilno w ekstraklasie. Dzieje polskiego futbolu Kresowego. Katowice: Wyd-wo GA, 1997. pp92-107
Orłowicz, M. Ilustrowany przewodnik po Lwowie. Lwów–Warszawa: 1925
Piłka Nożna na Ziemi lwowskiej 1894–1939. Warszawa: Oficyna wydawnicz “SPAR”, 1996. pp69-71
Mykhaliunyo, B. Sport in Lviv’s Jewish Community. Lviv: Rukopys, 2012. pp1-13
Mykhailiuk, Y. Secrets of Lviv Football, Volume 1. Lviv: Piramida Literary Agency, 2004.