Vul. Vynnychenka, 10 – residential building
The three-storied house was built before 1828. Its historicist style comes from a 1890 reconstruction. Commissioned by pharmacist and city council member Andrzej Kochanowski, it was designed by Adolf Kuhn. Famous pharmacy named "Under the Roman Emperor Titus" was located here until 1903.
Background and formation of the plot
In the late 18th century there were wooden buildings around. The plot of the contemporary building no. 10 was created in early 19th century, separated out of a larger one (conscription no. 75 in Brody Quarter). It was assigned a conscription no. 96 4/4 then, which stayed till 1939.
The existing house was built in the 1810s-1820s; 1828 map so far is the first document to mark it. Its architect(s) and customer(s) are unknown. By that time there was already a building belonging to the Pillers, the famous family of printers (now vul. Lychakivska, 8). Approximately at the same time the neighboring townhouse on vul. Vynnychenka,12 was erected.
Against the noise of smithy and metal workshops
The earliest building documents date from 1852 (DALO 2/2/3451). The property was then owned by countess Agnes (Agnieszka) Ponińska (DALO 2/2/3451:5,16). At that time, Heinrich and Wilhelm Arend, blacksmiths, planned to build a wing with a smithy there. They were referred to as Kunstschlossermeister, which probably meant that they made artistic forged fences and similar products. After receiving several denials from the Magistrate, Heinrich Arendt wrote numerous appeals. The city and provincial authorities cited the proximity of the Governor's palace
and the Provincial Dicastery as the reason for their denials. The former neighbored the house from the north, and the latter from the south (vul. Lychakivska, 8). A permanently working smithery would interfere with the officials' work. Thus no workshop appeared here.
Pharmacy "Pod cesarzem rzymskim Tytusem"
Teodor (Ger. Theodor) Torosiewicz purchased the house in 1854. He was a well-known pharmacist and balneologist of Armenian descent from Stanislawów (present-day Ivano-Frankivsk). He kept a pharmacy here on the ground floor, called Pod cesarzem rzymskim Tytusem (Under the Roman Emperor Titus) which had been founded in 1819.
In 1856 the building was reconstructed and the wings were extended. The project was designed by Wilhelm Schmid, a Lviv builder master (DALO 2/2/3451:60, 61). According to the project, the wide passage to the courtyard in the center of the building was removed; an entrance on the right edge was arranged instead, as it is today. The stairs were remade accordingly. The right wing (wooden) and old toilets were dismantled. The planned addition of the fourth floor the Magistrate forbade.
On 23 January 1863 the townhouse was inspected by the commissariat of the Łyczakowski district (4/4), which confirmed its good condition, except for the front door frame, which had come off slightly; this was to be repaired (DALO 2/2/3451:26).
After Torosiewicz died in 1876, his wife Józefa became in charge of the house and the pharmacy. Soon it was the pharmacist Andrzej Kochanowski who became its owner. He was apublic figure, a member of the Lviv City Council. He commissioned Adolf Kuhn, a Lviv architect, to designe its reconstruction in 1889. The townhouse was rebuilt thus in a opulent style influenced by French 17th century architecture. The mansard floor was converted into a full-fledged fourth floor. The building works were completed in December 1890 (DALO 2/2/3451:35).
In 1893 Kochanowski died, and for almost two years the pharmacy and the townhouse were managed by his widow Róża, whose deputy in the pharmacy was Jan Lisowski, a master of pharmacy, who previously worked in another drugstore (Kurjer Lwowski, 1893, n. 193, 3). He soom took up a position at the General Provincial Hospital pharmacy.
In 1895, Antoni Ehrbar became the pharmacy's owner. Rapid growth of the city's population and space led the city council to consider providing each district with a pharmacy, as existing ones were not sufficient. The opening of a new pharmacy in Łyczaków was discussed. It is likely, that these circumstances affected the pharmacy which moved to Lychakivska, 3 in 1903.
Before Ehrbar there were few intermittent owners of this building. Jadwiga Steczkowska who acquired it sometime after Kochanowski's death, sold it in 1898. Zdzisław Podgórski, a mining commissioner, bought it for 18,000 crowns shortly before his retirement. His wife Zofia Podgórska, née Bogdanowicz, and probably his daughter Kazimiera Sawicka were his co-owners. In 1900, Podgórski had the pharmacy shopwindows replaced, a project was designed by Jan Lewiński; carpentry works were done by Franciszek Tenerowicz. In his request to the Magistrate for permission to repair, Podgórski stated that the old shopwindows were already 50 years old and in a poor condition, which endangered the pharmacy with possible robbery (DALO 2/2/3451:37).
In 1902-1904 an exchange of letters between the Magistrate and the owners concerning the townhouse sewage reconstruction continued, the owners disagreed with the Magistrate's decision and appealed to a higher authority, which was the Provincial Department (DALO 2/2/3451:41-51).
In 1916 the townhouse was owned by Nuchim Simche Bombach, an entrepreneur, and in 1935, by Gillel and Giselle Grünfeld. Most of the ground floor premises were occupied by shops. In 1934 a minor renovation of the premises was carried out under a project designed by Władysław Wilkon, a builder master.
Today, the house has undergone redevelopment and destruction, its roof has been replaced and forged roof railings have been lost. This building is not a monument of architecture.
Before the 1890 reconstruction, the building's style was simple and restrained neoclassicism.The 1889-1890 reconstruction was basically an addition of a fourth floor, while the three lower ones were not changed significantly. The façade's central part with four pilasters had been topped with a simple triangular pediment having a circular attic window. In the course of the reconstruction, a complex mansard roof and a small neobaroque pediment with volutes was arranged, quite in the vein of Beaux-Arts architecture in trend at that time. The influence of French architecture is noticeable given the fact that the reconstruction architect, Adolf Kuhn, studied architecture at a French university. The style resonates with the neighboring Governor's office building (vul. Vynnychenka, 18), completed ten years earlier.
This reconstruction project drawings are colored, which is unusual. They show olive green façades with lighter colored details, and the roof covered with sheets of tin, without paint.
Initially, the building had a wide passage in the center, this was changed in1855. The main entrance was shifted to the far right edge, the two-flight stairs were replaced by three-flight ones; the entrance to the staircase was arranged on the opposite side. Due to this it was possible to expand other premises. At the same time, the right (south) wing was dismantled, while the rear wing's bridging was rebuilt, so that the height of the premises in it became identical to the height of the premises of the main (front) building.
One of the most renowned architects of Habsburg Lviv, entrepreneur, one of the largest employers of his time in the city. His firm was involved in the construction and renovation of countless structures throughout Lviv and the region. Professor at the Higher Technical School, an active public figure associated with the Ukrainian People's Movement.
Arend — blacksmith who planned to build a wing with
a smithy in 1852-1854
Heinrich Arend — blacksmith who planned to build a wing with a smithy in 1852-1854
Nuchim Simche Bombach — entrepreneur, the building owner in 1916
Antoni Ehrbar — pharmacist, owner of the pharmacy "Pod cesarzem rzymskim Tytusem" in the 1890s-1900s, who relocated it to vul. Lychakivska, 3
Carl Gabriel — city construction inspector in the 1850s
Edmund Głowacki — owner of the neighboring building on vul. Lychakivska, 3 in the 1850s
Gizela Grünfeld — building co-owner in 1934
Gilel Grünfeld — building co-owner in 1935
Andrzej Kochanowski (1836-1893) — pharmacist, public figure, Lviv City Council member, the building owner in the 1880s — 1893
Róża Kochanowska — Andrzej Kochanowski's wife, the building owner in the 1890s
Adolf Kuhn (1826-1914) — architect, author of the 1889-1890 reconstruction project
Ivan Levynskyi / Jan Lewiński — manager of pharmacy shopwindows reconstruction in 1900
Jan Lisowski — master of pharmacy, employee and administrator of the pharmacy "Pod cesarzem rzymskim Tytusem" in the 1890s
Anna Lunda — owner of the neighboring building no. 8 in the 1850s
Nostiz's Heirs (Nostiz'sche Erben)— owners of the neighboring building no. 12 in the 1850s
Zdzisław Podgórski (1857-1906) — mining commissioner, the building owner from 1898, lived on ul. Franciszkańska, 17 (today Korolenka)
Zofia Podgórska, née Bogdanowicz — building co-owner in the 1890s-1900s
Kazimiera Sawicka, née Podgórska — building co-owner in the 1900s
Agnes (Agnieszka) Ponińska — countess, the building owner in 1852
Jadwiga Steczkowska — building owner in the 1890s
Wilhelm Schmid (1812-1872) — builder master, author of the 1854-1855 building reconstruction
Franciszek Tenerowicz — carpenter who made new shopwindows for the pharmacy in 1900
Teodor Torosiewicz (1789-1876) — well-known pharmacist and balneologist of Armenian
descent from Stanislaviv (now Ivano-Frankivsk), the building and pharmacy "Pod cesarzem rzymskim Tytusem" owner from at least 1854
Władysław Wilkon — builder master, author of a minor renovation in 1934
2. Księga adresowa królewskiego stołecznego miasta Lwowa (Lwów, 1897)
3. Księga adresowa królewskiego stołecznego miasta Lwowa (Lwów, 1900)
4. Księga adresowa królewskiego stołecznego miasta Lwowa (Lwów, 1901)
5. Księga adresowa królewskiego stołecznego miasta Lwowa (Lwów, 1902)
6. Księga adresowa królewskiego stołecznego miasta Lwowa (Lwów, 1904)
7. Księga adresowa Małopołski, Wykaz domów na obszarze miasta Lwowa (Lwów. Stanisławów. Tarnopól, 1935–1936)
8. Provinzial-Handbuch der Königreiche Galizien und Lodomerien für das Jahr 1854 (Lemberg, 1854)
9. Skorowidz królewskiego stołecznego miasta Lwowa (Lemberg, 1872)
10. Skorowidz królewskiego stołecznego miasta Lwowa (Lemberg, 1889)
11. Skorowidz królewskiego stołecznego miasta Lwowa (Lwów, 1916)
12. Spis alfabetyczny gminy Lwów, 1879
13. Wegweiser der Kön. Haupstadt Lemberg (Lemberg, 1863)
14. Теодор Ян Торосевич
15. Oksana Boyko, Vasyl Slobodian, "Vul. Lychakivska, 3 — residential building"
16. Oksana Boyko, Vasyl Slobodian, "Vul. Lychakivska, 5 — residential building"
17. "Kronika", Dodatek do Kurjera Lwowskiego, 1893, Nr. 135, 2
18. "Kronika", Kurjer Lwowski, 1893, Nr. 139, 3
19. "Kronika", Kurjer Lwowski, 1895, Nr. 340, 3
20. "Wykaz kupionych i sprzedanych realności w listopadzie b.r.", Kurjer Lwowski, 1898, Nr. 354, 3
21. "Nadesłane", Kurjer Lwowski, 1903, Nr. 354, 4
22. "Zmarli", Kurjer Lwowski, 1906, Nr. 255, 5