Vul. Kopernyka – monument to the First Printers by the Book Museum
The graduating diploma project by Lviv sculptor Anatolii Halian, graduate of the Lviv Institute of Applied and Decorative Arts (now the Academy of Art, 2009), was placed in the courtyard of St. Onufria church on B. Khmelnytskoho Street in 1971. The work is a three-figured thematic composition of a printer and his apprentices. The church itself – where Ivan Fedorov was buried in 1583 – used to house the Museum of the History of Ukrainian Books and Printing, a branch of the Lviv Picture Gallery. After the collapse of the Soviet Union the monastery and St. Onufria Church complex was returned to its former owners, the Basilian order. The Museum of Printing, which is now known as the Museum of Early Ukrainian Handwritten Books, is currently located in the park that surrounds the Pototski Palace on Kopernika Street 15, with a sculptural composition "First Printers" in front of the entrance to the museum.
Media Archive Materials