Pl. Mitskevycha, 1 – "Under the Three Hooks" Hotel, "De La Russie" (no longer extant)

Pl. Mitskevycha, 1 – "Under the Three Hooks" Hotel, "De La Russie" (no longer extant) ID: 973

The oldest of Lviv's hotels. The first hotel on this site — "Under the Three Hooks" — was established in 1793 by Georg Hoffmann (1778–1839). In 1811, on its site, the owner constructed a new hotel, "De la Russie", which opened to visitors on December 3, 1811. It was a Neoclassical building featuring two carriage entrance gates facing the square and a large garden extending toward pl. Khorunshchyny (now vul. P. Сhaikovskoho). Pavilions and gazebos were arranged in the garden, one of which, designed in the form of a Greek temple, was built in 1848 by architect V. Ravskyi Sr. The hotel's pediment was decorated with Empire-style sculptural compositions executed prior to 1811 (according to Yuriy Biryulov, nearly identical to Hartman Witwer's reliefs on the Hausner house at present-day 1–3 prosp. Svobody). Until 1894, the German cultural society "Frohsinn", complete with its own theater, also gathered in the old hotel. The hotel was dismantled in April 1899.

Related buildings and spaces

  • Pl. Mitskevycha, 1 – "George" Hotel

    "George" Hotel (1899–1901, architects H. Helmer and F. Fellner; 1932 — remodeling of part of the premises, architect Tadeusz Wróbel; pl. Mitskevycha). Late Historicism (Neorenaissance, Neobaroque, Neoempire), Secession elements, Art Deco (1930s interiors). A monumental building in the city center. The principal elevation is accented along its central axis by an avant-corps featuring the main entrance and an attic wall crowned with a "St. George" relief; in the niches of the side façades are allegorical figures of the four continents (sculpted by Leonard Marconi and Antoni Popiel). Many famous personalities stayed at the hotel. In 1848, during the Spring of Nations, celebratory banquets were held here. In 1910–1912, Alfred Altenberg's bookstore operated in the hotel, followed in 1912–1920 by the publishing union "H. Altenberg, H. Seyfarth, E. Wende and Co.". In 1940, the hotel was renamed "Lviv", and from 1945 to 1995, it was called "Intourist".

    Read more
  • Pl. Mitskevycha, 1 – "George" Hotel

    Pl. Mitskevycha, 1 – "George" Hotel

Citation

Khrystyna Kharchuk. "Pl. Mitskevycha, 1 – "Under the Three Hooks" Hotel, "De La Russie" (no longer exists)". Lviv Interactive (Center for Urban History, 2012). URL: https://lia.lvivcenter.org/en/objects/mitskevycha-1-former/

Author(s): Khrystyna Kharchuk

Language editor: Uliana Holovata

Urban Media Archive Materials