Vul. Levytskoho – Veterinary Academy building
(1892, architect S. Rizek). The former main building of the academy is part of the campus of the Grzycki National Academy of Veterinary Medicine of Lviv. A memorial plaque dedicated to a former rector of the Academy, Professor Waclaw Moraczewski (1867-1950), is located on the façade of the building. The Dean’s Office of the Department of Veterinary Medicine is currently located in the building. In 2001 the construction was registered as a historic monument of local significance.
The Veterinary Academy was opened in 1881. Its main building (it was then called the Regional School of Veterinary and Horse Shoeing) was then situated on what is currently 67 Levytskoho Street. The building was constructed according to the 1892 designby architect S. Rizek. Some auxiliary buildings were also located on the territory of the plot of the Academy of Veterinary Medicine. These were as follows: a hospital for dogs and a stable for horses; prosectorium and a hospital for infectious diseases; a blacksmith and guard’s premises. The plot was fenced in according to a project of 1874 (by the architect Lucian Time). Prosectorium and the hospital of infectious diseases were built according to the project from 1875 ( by architect Teofil Baranowski). In 1921-1927 an outstanding Ukrainian scholar and Doctor of Medicine, Professor Waclaw Moraczewski, worked in this building.
The building is located on K. Levytskoho Street, situated far back on the plot of land, a significant distance from the perimeter constructions of the street. It was designed to stand separately on a relief declining towards the street.
This two-story building is made from plastered brick, has a complex layout and a high socle floor riveted in natural stone. The interior is corridor-based with an enfilade layout. The windows of the first and the second floors are rectangular with profiled framing. Profiled belt courses are located under the windows between the first and second floors. The entrance portal is emphasized with a profiled cornice supported by two volutes. The building is topped off with a profiled cornice that significantly juts out from the main surface. The roof is high, hipped, covered with tinplates and has skylight windows. The Dean’s Office of the Department of Veterinary Medicine is currently located here.
A bronze memorial plaque (70 x 50 cm) is located on the right side of the façade of the main building, on the level of the first floor; it is dedicated to an outstanding Ukrainian scholar and teacher, the rector of the Academy Professor Waclaw Moraczewski (1867-1950). A relief bust of this prominent scholar is located on the left side of the plaque, while on the right and bottom part of the building the following is written: “A well-known scholar and teacher, rector of the Academy, true friend of Vasyl Stefanyk, Professor Waclaw Moraczewski (1861-1950).”
The plaque was unveiled on 30 September 1997 by order No. 938 of the Head of the Lviv Regional Administration dated 12 September 1997.
In accordance with order No. 236 of the Head of the Lviv Regional Administration dated 11 March 2001 the construction was registered as a historic monument of local significance.