Vul. Klyonovycha, 3 – residential building
A corner residential Historicist building at the intersection of Klionovycha and Hulaka-Artemovskoho Streets, constructed in 1893 according to a common project for four buildings by the architects Jakub Sołomon Kroch and Maurycy Silberstein and located today on 5 and 7 Levytskoho Street, 3 Klionovycha Street and 4 Hulaka-Artemovskoho Street. The project was approved by the magistrate in 1893. This building belonged to the architects Kroch and Silberstein at the turn of the 20th century. Today it is used for residential purposes (2009).
The building at 3 Klionovycha Street was constructed according to a common project for four buildings by the architects Jakub Sołomon Kroch and Maurycy Silberstein and located on parcel number 504, 505 and 506 4/4 under conscription numbers 726 4/4 (5 Kokhanovskoho Street, presently Levytskoho Street), 727 4/4 (7 Kokhanovskoho), 728 4/4 (3 Klionovycha) and 725 4/4 (4 Milkovskoho Street, presently Hulaka-Artemovskoho Street). The project was approved by the magistrate on 10 September 1893. The above-mentioned buildings belonged to the architects J. Kroch and M. Silberstein at the turn of the nineteenth century.
On 14 June 1913 Teresa Bernfeld, the owner of the building on 3 Klionovycha Street, asked the magistrate to pass a resolution regarding a wall in her building getting wet because of a damaged water pipe in the lavatories of a neighboring building owned by Tomasz Zieliński and located on 7 Kokhanovskoho Street. On 16 June 1913 the magistrate transferred this appeal to the government building agency.
Created in the Revival style, this three-story building is constructed of plastered brick. The asymmetric composition of the main façades is emphasized by supported side sections which are accentuated with a rounded corner on the street intersection. The entrance portal from Klionovycha Street is located to the left. The first floor is emphasized by decorative horizontal rustication. Buttressed sections of the building are beautified with light horizontal rustication on the level of the second floor and are accentuated with vertical Pseudo-ionic pilasters on the level of the third floor. Profiled belt courses run between the first and second floor and under the windows of the second and third floors. The tops of the windows of the first floor are adorned with keystones. The windows of the second and third floors have profiled frames. On the second floor, the windows are emphasized by triangular window cornices connected by a profiled belt course. Insertions of molded women’s heads in the center are located between these window cornices and window frames. On the third floor the windows are decorated with linear window cornices. The building is crowned with a profiled cornice with modillions, a number of denticles and an Ionic belt course.
Authors of the design: architects Jakub Sołomon Kroch and Maurycy Silberstein
Owners of the real estate and the building:In the late nineteenth-beginning of the twentieth century the owners were architects Jakub Sołomon Kroch and Maurycy Silberstein as attested in the documents of DALO 5299/34-38 dated 10 September 1893, DALO 4801/1 dated 17 September 1904, and DALO 4801/3 dated 25 July 1904.
In the 1910’s the owner of the building was Teresa Bernfeld as attested in the documents of DALO 4801/15.
In the 1930’s, according to some literary sources, the building belonged to Leontyna Kwiatkowska.
2. ДАЛО 2/1/5299
3. Wykaz domów na obszarze miasta Lwowa. Księga adresowa Małopołski.(Lwów. Stanisławów. Tarnopól. Rocznik 1935/1936)
4. Skorowidz adresowy król. stol. m. Lwowa. (Lwów, 1899)
5. J. R. Spigel. Skorowidz adresowy król. stol. Miasta Lwowa. (Rocznik II. Rok 1910)
6. Księga adresowa. (Fr. Reichmann. 1913)
7. Skorowidz adresowy król. stol. m. Lwowa. (Lwów, 1916)
8. F. Jaglarz. Skorowidz adresowy król. stol. m. Lwowa. (Lwów, 1920)
9. "Kogo szukasz" Informator adresowy. (Lwów, 1932)
10. Księga telefoniczna. (Lwow, 1937)