Vul. Zamarstynivska, 9 – former church of the Holy Cross
Former Church of the Holy Cross (currently the building of the Lviv Institute of Internal Affairs) with the adjacent buildings the former monastery is located on a territory between the present Zamarstynivska Street and Chornovola Boulevard. It was built on the territory of the northern district, outside of the early modern defensive city walls, and was an example of a fortified church located in the outlying district of the city. Its construction dates back to the 1630s, followed by 1744 reconstruction (by the architect Bernard Meretini / Meretyn), and over the course of the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries the church remains a monument of sacral architecture of the late Renaissance period which has preserved specific Gothic elements.
The church has a single nave with an elongated semi-circular apse and a rectangular presbytery. It is a plastered brick and stone building. The eastern and western façades are decorated with pediments. A console frieze is located under a massive cornice. Pointed Gothic windows are trimmed with profiled mouldings. The interior of the nave has cross-shaped vaulted ceilings with rozettas at the intersections.
Former monastery buildings are located around the church.
The entry was developed within the project "Galiciana", 2001-2002
Material compiled by Ihor Zhuk