Former ul. Pańska, 5 – villa
From the late 18th century till 1905 the built-up area on Bohomoltsia street was a single plot marked with conscription number 508 4/4; from 1871 its address was Pańska (now Franka) street 5. In the middle of it (where the modern building on Bohomoltsia street 3 stands) a Neo-Classicist-style villa was located, a typical middle class residence of the 19th century.
In the 16th-18th centuries there was one of the bastions belonging to the fourth line of the city fortifications in this territory. After the fortifications were dismantled by the Austrian authorities, a large plot was formed, marked later with conscription number 508 4/4 (after the introduction of the modern address system in 1871 it was Pańska (now Franka) street 5).
In the late 18th century a villa or a small suburban palace was built there. At first it was a rectangular building with a small avant-corps in the center of its main façade (see a map from the last years of the 18th c.; a 1802 map). On the parcel, there was also a stable with a cart-shed (in the northern part), wooden utility buildings, and a row front townhouse which was cut off in 1870 as a separate real estate number 607 4/4 (DALO 2/1/121 2). The plot was owned by doctor Zygmunt Rieger at that time. In April of 1870 he had a single-storied extension added on the villa’s northern side under a project designed by constructor Józef Wiedeń (DALO 2/1/121: 1). In the following year Rieger also reconstructed and adapted for dwelling a single-storied stable and cart-shed building, which was located in the north of the plot and adjoined a building on the neighbouring plot number 509 4/4 (Pekarska street 2) owned by Pelagia Truchlińska. The project was designed by Wojciech Haar, a city constructor (DALO 2/1/121: 11).
In 1872 the plot became owned by Wiktoria Bochdan, née Lodyńska. In the same year the fence from the side of Pańska street was replaced with a new one having brick pillars and metal rods; a small aretaker's house was also constructed right next to the gate (DALO 2/1/121 27, 43). In 1875 Wiktoria Bochdan added a second floor to the two rooms located on the villa’s northern side. The project was designed by constructor Edmund Köhler (DALO 2/1/121: 88). A year earlier Köhler also bought the southwestern part of Wiktoria Bochdan’s plot in order to build his own townhouse there, but these plans were not implemented (DALO 2/1/121: 71, 74).
In 1879 Piotr Mieczkowski, a photographer, added, by agreement with the owner, a single-storied pavilion of his photo studio to the villa’s northern side (DALO 2/1/121: 92). At the same time Wiktoria Bochdan added to the villa’s southern side some premises, where a kitchen, toilets as well as, perhaps, rooms for servants were located. The extension had a separate entrance (DALO 2/1/121, 104, 106). Piotr Mieczkowski’s photo studio was situated there till 1887; in 1897-1905 it was owned by photographer Dawid Mazur .
In 1888 the plot became owned by Klementyna Witosławska, née Bochdan, probably Wiktoria Bochdan’s daughter and heiress (DALO 2/1/121: 112). In 1899-1901 a part of the building’s premises was rented by Antonina Gawrońska, née Miłkowska, for her private school for girls (Księga adresowa, 1900).
In 1903 Klementyna Witosławska took the lead in laying a new street (DALO 2/1/121, 113, 117). The project was designed by Jan Lewiński, a known Lviv architect and entrepreneur who owned a construction company. In 1905 all buildings on the plot were dismantled, and newly formed plots were later sold to build new row townhouses.
The two-storied building of the villa (palace) was originally rectangular and had a little avant-corps in the center of its front façade. It was designed in the Neo-Classicist style; the façades were symmetrical, with restrained décor. The building was covered with a hip roof. In the draft projects of extentions, which were constructed in 1870-1880, one can see the villa’s rectangular windows with shaped framings; a bar separating the ground floor walls surface from that of the upper floor; a flat roof covered with tin. The building had longitudinal and transverse load-bearing brick walls and an enfilade planning, the rooms being arranged in two longitudinal rows. Two extentions (those from 1875 and 1885), which expanded the house from the north and from the south, repeated in general its existing style, but receded from the façade’s central part for a brick and had a lower second floor and, therefore, a lower roof. Their three- or four-part windows were about 1.8 m wide and were decorated with the same framings as the windows of the building’s older part.
In 1879 a photo studio pavilion was attached to the villa. It was located on the northern side and had a separate entrance. It was a single-storied (L-shaped in plan) building about 8,3 x 14 m in size. The pavilion contained 4 rooms: a larger one next to the entrance, a smaller one on one side, a spacious photo studio room behind them, and a small photo laboratory. It was a modern building constructed with the use of modern materials and constructions. The northern façade, which was not visible from the street, was mostly glazed (the window was about 6 m long). However, the studio’s main (western) façade was designed in conservative Historicist forms, in order not to stand out against the background of the surrounding townhouses. Its attic hid a roof with a skylight. This façade was symmetrical, with a portal in the center and windows on both sides. It was decorated with Tuscan order pilasters on pedestals on the edges. Above the building’s crowning cornice, there was an attic with the photo studio’s name. The windows and doors were rectangular, with shaped trimmings and linear pediments.
In the 18th-19th centuries the relief throughout the built-up area of Bohomoltsia street was significantly different from what can be seen there now, clear traces of an earlier bastion being quite visible. When designing a new street in 1903, architect Ivan Levynskyi (Jan Lewiński) drew a cross-section of the territory. On Pańska (Franka) street the difference between the plot and the street sidewalk was 0.5 m. The area in front of the villa and just behind it was slightly raised. The last 24 meters of 116 meters in total, where a garden was located, had a rather steep rise and then a sharp decline by 3.2 meters to the Klonovycha street level.
The fence from Pańska street served also as a retaining wall. In 1872 a new fence was arranged instead of the old one. It was symmetrical and had six plastered brick pillars and metal rods. A wide entrance gate with two wickets on both sides was arranged in the center. This showy fence design indicates the representative character of the villa. In the same year, a small single-storied house for the caretaker was built at the entrance to the plot; it was rectangular in plan and covered with a gable tin roof, with two rooms inside having stove heating. The façades were decorated in the Historicist style: the windows were flanked by pilasters with Corinthian capitals supporting linear pediments with small acroterions.
In general, the whole area had a representative character, typical of the 19th century. In the middle of the territory in front of the villa a large round flowerbed was arranged, while a regular garden was laid out behind the building. A wooden utility building was located somewhat away to the south. In the northern part of the plot, there was a stable and a cart-shed, which adjoined similar facilities on the neighbouring area in the north where the townhouse on Pekarska street 4 is situated now, and from 1870 bordered the plot number 607 4/4 (former Pańska street 3) in the west. It was a simple single-storied brick building with a pent roof, rectangular in plan, with dimensions of about 30 x 7,5 m. In 1870 it was reconstructed and adapted for housing: three apartments were arranged inside, the existing roof being preserved. Now the main façade had eight axes and was asymmetric. Depending on the room size the window size differed. Half of them had woodwork with twelve panes of glass, the other half — with eight panes. Such design and glazing is typical of the Neo-Classicist period and, in general, for the late 18th-mid-19th century. To light the vestibules the front doors had upper and side lights. There were two semicircular lucarnes in the roof.
Wiktoria Bochdanowa née Lodyńska – owner of the real estate #508 4/4.
Wojciech Haar – constructor
Dawid Mazur – photographer, owner of the atelier
Edmund Köhler – constructor
Zygmunt Rieger – medical doctor, owner of the real estate #508 4/4.
Klementyna Witosławska née Bochdan – owner of the real estate #508 4/4.
Pelagia Truchlińska – owner of the neighboring building on vul. Pekarska, 4
Piotr Mieczkowski – photographer, owner of the atelier
- State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO) 2/1/121.
- Księga adresowa królewskiego stolecznego miasta Lwowa (Lwów: Wydawca i właściciel Franciszek Reichman, z drukarni W. A. Szyjkowskiego, 1900).