Vul. Bohomoltsia, 10 – residential building
The four-storied (originally three-storied) residential townhouse at the corner of Bohomoltsia and Klionovycha streets was built in 1907-1908 under a project designed by architect Julian Cybulski for lawyer Alfred Zgórski and his wife Maria. The townhouse is constructed in a style which blends elements of the Historicism and ornamental Secession (Art Nouveau). Today the building is used for dwelling purposes.
The building’s plot was formed in 1904, when Bohomoltsia (then Adama Asnyka) street was laid and the area, where an old villa and gardens had been located (its old address was Pańska street 5 or conscription number 508 4/4), was parcelled for housing development. The plot was owned by Klementyna Witosławska, née Bochdan.
The plot, where the building was constructed later, was bought by lawyer Alfred Zgórski and his wife Maria in 1907. Subsequently, the plot was given a new conscription number 975 4/4. A project of a townhouse for the new owners was designed by architect Julian Cybulski. The building permit was granted by the Magistrate in July of 1907 (DALO 2/1/130: 12). After the construction was over and at least until 1922 the use of three premises in the basement was banned; it was the case also in 1922, when the house was owned by dr Józef Selzer (DALO 2/1/130: 15). In the same year the latter sold the townhouse to Józef and Róża Stryjer (DALO 2/1/130: 16).
In 1928 the owners decided to add the fourth floor (DALO 2/1/130: 17-21). The project was designed by architect Henryk Orlean. The use of the Weiss flat reinforced concrete bridgings was stipulated by the project. The construction was completed at the beginning of the following year. In January of 1929 permission to use the premises was granted provided that an unauthorized door between the toilet and the kitchen in the fourth floor apartment to the right of the stairs would be bricked up (DALO 2/1/130: 29-30).
In the 1930s the electromechanical workshop "Mikron" and the paper products factory "Rapid Mill" were located in the building. Today the building is used only for dwelling purposes.
The house is located at the corner of Bohomoltsia and Klionovycha streets. This residential townhouse is typical of the first decade of the 20th century, when houses were designed already connected to the water supply, sanitation, and electricity networks. Due to the small size of the plot this townhouse consists only of a front building and has no wings. Living and utility rooms are separated: the former overlook the street while the latter face the courtyard or have no natural lighting. Vertical communications are arranged like those in the house number 8: the back stairs are located straight behind the front stairs, thus forming an avant-corps in the courtyard. Both staircases have side lighting. In general, the architectural solution of this townhouse is similar to that of the house number 15 located across the street. Together, these townhouses create a smooth transition between the architecture styles of the two streets: the traditional Historicism of Klionovycha street and the modern Secession of Bohomoltsia street.
The townhouse has four floors and basements. It is built of brick and plastered. There are Klein system bridgings in the basements and reinforced concrete bridgings between the floors. The double-pitch roof has a structure of rafters and posts and is covered with painted tin.
The building forms a rather well lit and green common courtyard with houses on Klionovycha 7, Hulaka-Artemovskoho 9 and 11, and Bohomoltsia 8. The main entrance is located in the north façade. According to the original project, there were two apartments on each floor: a five-room one and a three-room one. All utility rooms are located inside the apartments: kitchens with larders and a room for servants nearby, toilets and bathrooms. The kitchens and separate toilets could be entered via back stairs and small galleries.
The spatial solution of the building is dominated by a cut corner accentuated by a bay window. The façades are asymmetrical. The building’s style is restrained, combining elements of the Neoclassicism and Secession. The rusticated ground floor is separated from the upper floors by a bar. The second and third floors are divided by rusticated lesenes with moulded garlands at their tops. The windows have shaped trimmings and linear pediments. The east façade balconies are supported by cantilevers decorated with Secession stucco; however, their forged railing belongs to the Neoclassicist style and has typical garlands. The fourth floor, added during a reconstruction in the interwar period, is not different in its style from the lower part of the house. The metal door of the main portal is designed in the Secession style.
According to the project, the building was to have much more decorations in the style of ornamental Secession, but this plan was not implemented. In general, given the 1928 reconstruction and subsequent alterations, the appearance of the building has changed little. The exception are the windows as most of them have been replaced by plastic ones by now.
A. I. Uss – a
resident of the house in 1940
Alfred Zgórski – a lawyer, co-owner od the house and its resident in 1910
Amelia Babska – an enterpreneur, resident of the house in 1913
Artur Till, dr – a lawyer, resident of the house in 1910
Henryk Orlean – architect who designed a reconstruction project for the building
Edward Zawidowski – a retired mayor, resident of the house in 1913
Jerży Gżedzelski – an eye doctor, resident of the house in 1932
Zygfried Buksdorf – a resident of the house in at least 1937-1940
I. M. Poretski – a resident of the house in 1946
Karol Gottfried – a director of an association, resident of the house in 1913
Klementyna Witosławska née Bochdan – owner of the building plot
Marek Sokal – a candidate lawyer, resident of the house in 1910
Maria Zgórska – co-owner of the house
Meilech Rosenbusch – an enterpreneur, owner of a coffee shop, resident of the house in 1910
Róża Stryjer – co-owner of the house
Stanisław Zagórski, dr – lawyer, resident of the house in at least 1910-1913
T. Wereszczycki – engineer, owner of Mikron electromechanical establishment, resident of the house in 1932
Józef Selzer, dr – owner of the house in 1922
Józef Stryjer – co-owner of the house
Julian Karol Cybulski – architect who designed the building
Julia Agopsowicz – owner of the house and its resident in 1910
Jakób Rajgrodzki, dr – a resident of the house in 1932
Janusz Jasiński, dr – an official, resident of the house in at least 1932-1937
- State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO) 2/1/130: 12, 15-21, 29-30.
- Almanach Zydowski Hermana Stachla (Lwow, 1937).
- Kotlobulatowa I., Lwow na dawnej pocztówce (Krakow, 2002).
- Ksiega adresowa krolewskiego stolecznego miasta Lwowa, 1914.
- Lewicki Jakub, Między tradycją a nowoczesnością: Architektura Lwowa lat 1893–1918 (Warsaw: Towarzystwo Opieki nad Zabytkami, Wydawnictwo Neriton, 2005), 260.
- Rossowski S., Lwow podczas inwazyi (Lwow, 1915).
- Skorowidz krolewskiego stolecznego miasta Lwowa (Lemberg, 1910).
- Skorowidz krolewskiego stolecznego miasta Lwowa (Lwow, 1920).
- Wykaz domów na obszarze miasta Lwowa, Księga adresowa Małopołski (Lwów, Stanisławów, Tarnopól, Rocznik 1935/1936)
Media Archive Materials