Stryiskyi Park site – former "Sokil-Batko" stadium
The stadium of the Ukrainian sports society "Sokil-Batko" was located near the old Stryiska toll house, on the site between the present Stryiska and Kozelnytska streets. It bordered with the exposition complex of the 1894 Regional Exhibition and the Eastern Fair. The stadium was built in 1914, according to the design by an architect Jan Karasiński. In 1925, according to the design by Yevhen Nahirnyi, the stadium stands were built, at the expense of the "Regional Credit Union." Presently, the stadium does not exist. Its territory is now part of the Stryiskyi Park.
The stadium of the "Sokil-Batko" society was built on the site of the old cycling track of a Polish Cycling Club designed in 1906 by Jan Stoberski (DALO 2/4/1265:24). The location can be seen on the site plan of the Large Lviv of 1931. Several more stadiums were located nearby, such as a stadium of a Polish Sports Society, and those of sports societies "Czarni" (The Black), "Pogoń" (The Pursuit) and "Lechia" (Orłowicz, 1925, 136). In 1911, the Ukrainian Sports Society "Sokil" (The Falcon) submitted for approval to Lviv magistrate the plans for construction of the stationary stands for their own stadium, for temporary stands (with an alternative design) and a temporary changing room on a plot of land on vul. Stryiska (DALO 2/4/1265:3). It was initiated by Ivan Boberskyi, Mykola Shukhevych, Tadey Soloviy, Kost Pankivskyi, Stepan Fedak, Mykola Zayachkivskyi, Les Kulchytskyi, and Kost Levytskyi, Ukrainians from The Dnieper Ukraine, Kuban, Canada, and USA. The site for the stadium was allocated out of their private lands by Józefa Lewicka and Klementyna Natalia Lewicka (DALO 2/4/1265:25). The design was developed by an architect Jan Karasiński, as commissioned by Dr. Mykhaylo Voloshyn. In the same year, the magistrate approved the submitted projects (DALO 2/4/1265:25). An additional design was developed by architects Yevhen Nahirnyi and Antoni Śmiałowski for the anniversary Shevchenko dedicated rally to take place on June, 28-29, 1914 (DALO 2/4/1265:42). In particular, the architects developed a site plan for the stadium, new designs for an entrance gate, and for stationary and temporary stands. In 1925, new stands were built according to the design by Yevhen Nahirnyi (approved on June, 26, 1925) at the expense of the central cooperative bank "Regional Credit Union" (DALO 2/4/1265:36-37). Presently, the stadium does not exist. Its territory has been included into Stryiski Park.
The stadium of a Ukrainian sports society "Sokil-Batko" was located near the old Stryiska toll house, on the site between the present Stryiska and Kozelnytska streets. It bordered with exposition complex of the 1894 Regional exhibition and the Eastern Fair. The stadium had stationary stands for spectators, a temporary stand and a temporary changing room. The entrance was modelled as a grand front wooden gate. All buildings were wooden. The stationary stand stood out the most. It was designed by an architect Jan Karasiński in 1914. It was a three-storey building made of wooden frame (DALO 2/1265:25).
Jan Karasiński – an architect
Jan Stoberski – an architect
Yevhen Nahirnyi – an architect
Mykhaylo Voloshyn – a professor, Sotnyk (Captain) of the Ukrainian Sich Riflemen, member of the "Sokil-Batko" board, a renowned public and political figure, lawyer
Józefa Lewicka – owner of the land plot
Klementyna Natalia Lewicka – owner of the land plot
- State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO) 2/4/1265
- M. Orłowicz, Ilustrowany przewodnik po Lwowie (Lwów–Warszawa, 1925), 136.
- "Сокіл-Батько". Спортивно-руханкове товариство у Львові (Львів: РВО "Основа", 1996), 91-94, 117-118.
- 70-річчя заснування спортового товариства "Україна". Львів, 1911-1981 (Філадельфія – Торонто, 1981), 7-61.
- Спортове товариство "Україна" (Львів). До 80-річчя заснування (Львів: Світ, 1991), 6-135.
By Khrystyna Kharchuk
Media Archive Materials