Vul. Panasa Myrnoho, 17 – residential building
This single-storied villa with an attic was built as a part of the housing cooperative Własna Strzecha in 1925-1934 under the typical project number 2 designed by architect Kazimierz Weiss for Dr. Józef Bach, a lawyer. This is an example of so-called styl dwórkowy (manor-style) architecture.
The building is an architectural monument of local significance. According to the Lviv regional executive committee's resolution number 374 dated 15 April 1994, it was assigned the protection number 2697.
Panasa Myrnoho street is located in Lviv's Sykhivskyi district, in a neighborhood called Novyi Lviv (New Lviv). In the Polish period it was called ul. Kozielnicka and ul. Własna Strzecha. It was in the 1920s that Własna Strzecha, a neighborhood stretching along what is now vul. Panasa Myrnoho and vul. Enerhetychna (earlier ul. Nad Yarem), started to be developed. The street was given its current name in 1946 in honor of Panas Myrnyi (1849-1920), a Ukrainian writer and playwright.
The house, whose address is now vul. Panasa Myrnoho, 17, had the address ul. Kozielnicka or ul. Własna Strzecha, 15 in the 1920-30s.
Following the 1885 building acts, on 19 September 1925 the city's Magistrate authorized the Własna Strzecha cooperative to construct 24 typical buildings. These buildings were to be erected on the basis of previously developed three variants of projects on plots, purchased from the city community and located along the both sides of vul. Panasa Myrnoho. These projects were more or less based on the ideas of the so-called styl dwórkowy (manor style), which were rapidly developed throughout Poland from 1912, when "The Exhibition of Architecture and Interiors Surrounded by a Garden" (pol. Wystawa architektury i wnętrz w otoczeniu ogrodowym) was held in Krakow. At the exhibition, a lot of manor-style objects were presented, patterned on the Polish manor typical of the times of the last Polish King Stanisław August Poniatowski. At a time when peoples of the Austro-Hungarian Empire sought their roots and identity, the Poles chose the golden age of the Commonwealth (1764-1795).
At first, it was planned to build 14 houses under the typical project number 1, 7 houses under the project number 2, and 3 houses under the project number 3 (DALO 2/2/765: 2). However, on 12 March 1930 the ratio was changed as follows: 6 houses under the typical project number 1, 10 houses under the project number 2, and 8 houses under the project number 3. The Magistrate had the street paved (worth 80,639 zlotys) and, along with it, a channel arranged for installing pipelines and networks (worth 16,050 zlotys). These amounts were distributed among the residents of the three types of houses: the first type – 72.45 zlotys; the second type – 68.90 zlotys, the third type – 69.35 zlotys (DALO 2/2/765:26). Permission for moving into the building was issued on 10 December 1928 (DALO 2/2/765:15).
It is probable, however, that the construction lasted longer as there are also documents indicating another date of the building permit issuing, that of 27 June 1931 (DALO 2/2/765: 5). On 9 February 1934 the city Magistrate asked Dr. Józef Bach to request permission for moving into his building (DALO 2/2/765:9), but the owner did not do it as he was confident of the legality of his actions. On 7 July 1934 he received another letter from the administration of Lviv, which informed of the need to pay a fine of 50 zlotys for the illegal moving into his building. On 14 July he appealed the claim on the basis of documents stating that the buildings were put into operation on 10 December 1928, and therefore their settlement could in no case be unlawful. As a genuine lawyer, he ended his letter saying that he was not going to pay for mistakes in documents made by municipal authorities (DALO 2/2/765:15). Obviously, letters of this kind were received not only by him, but also by his 19 neighbors. This led to the fact that on 16 July 1934 Józef Bach, as the authorized representative of the owners of the twenty houses, took the latter into operation (DALO 2/2/765:14).
The building has retained its original appearance. However, due to the fact that it is divided into many flats, new owners change their parts of the house on their own. Thus, the ground floor façades of the building are partially insulated and painted in yellow, and the roof was covered with metal tiles. This led to the fact that, although the house escaped a major restructuring, the integrity of its perception has been lost.
This single-storied two-apartment mansion with an attic was built in 1925-1934 under the typical project number 2 designed by architect Kazimierz Weiss.
Each floor of the building was designed for an apartment whose owners jointly used the garden surrounding the house. The brick building is plastered and decorated with Neo-Baroque gables; it has a steep hip roof covered with ceramic tiles.
The building area is 150.65 sq. m.; the
construction volume is 1333.25 cu. m.
The house includes:
— at the basement level: a laundry, an entryway, two storerooms, and a staircase;
— at the ground floor level: three rooms, a hall, a kitchen, a toilet, a bathroom, a servant's room, a storeroom, a staircase, and a terrace;
— the second (mansard-type) floor's layout is similar to that of the ground floor;
— over the mansard-type floor: an attic and a roof space (DALO 2/2/765:16).
24 houses were constructed at the same time. Unlike the neighboring objects, the typical project number 2 is most popular (10 houses), with double columns, located in the façade's central part, and an exquisite filigree gable with a small window topping the vertical central axis; it fully reflects the exterior features of the "manor style".
Compositionally, the façade is divided into three parts: the central one and two lateral ones. The house's lateral parts are symmetrical, with a large window on each floor. The central part of the building, at the second floor level, has two doors leading to the balcony, which is supported by double columns with Doric capitals at the ground floor level. Under the balcony, at the ground floor level, there is a terrace, which can be entered through the central room's door. The central part of the building is topped with a pediment at the attic level. Only the main street is overlooked by a presentable façade. The remaining façades are much more modest. The courtyard façade corresponds to the main one, excluding the balcony with supporting columns. The right-hand façade is a blank wall, while the left-hand one has the main entrance with a porch. The house is topped with high four-pitched roofs covered with ceramic tiles. The walls of the lateral parts of the main and courtyard façades, at the second floor level, are, in fact, a decorative extension of the roof covered with ceramic tiles.
Kazimierz Weiss – an architect who
designed the project of the house.
Dr Józef Bach – a lawyer who owned the house.
1. State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO), 2/2/765.
2. Лемко І., Михалик В., Бегляров Г., 1234 вулиці Львова (1939-2009) (Львів: Апріорі, 2009), 278