Vul. Muliarska, 2a – former building of the "Jewish Homeless Shelter Society" ID: 1052
The building of the "Jewish Homeless Shelter Society" (1929, former ul. Starotandetna 2а) was designed by architects Marek Weitz and Juliusz Kolner. The plot of land for construction was granted free of charge on the condition that a shelter for the homeless would be built on the site within three years. The five-story building featured two entrance gates; a public dining hall with a seating capacity of 260 was located on the first floor. In 1935, a demountable stage for performances was set up in the dining hall. Prior to World War II, when the Jewish community was dissolved, a polyclinic was established in the building. In 1941, by order of the Governor of the "Distrikt Galizien", the Judenrat, along with all of its departments, was housed in this building.
Story
The building plot was transferred on January 31, 1929, to the "Jewish Homeless Shelter Society" by the supervisory board under the State Commissioner. The position of State Commissioner was held by the President of Lviv, Grocholski. According to the protocol, the building plot was granted free of charge on the condition that a shelter for the homeless would be built on this site within three years.
The building was constructed within the specified timeframe according to a design by architects Marek Weitz and Juliusz Kolner. The shelter could accommodate 134 homeless individuals at one time, including 52 men, 52 women, and 30 mothers with infants. Located on the first floor was a public dining hall covering an area of 170 m² with 260 seats. Between 12:00 PM and 3:00 PM, across six shifts, it could serve meals to 1,500 people, with an additional 500 meals distributed for takeout. The building had five stories and two entrance gates — one for women and the other for men.
In 1935, a demountable stage for theatrical performances was installed in the first-floor dining hall.
Prior to World War II, when the Jewish community was dissolved, a polyclinic was arranged in the building.
On July 22, 1941, by order of the Governor of the "Distrikt Galizien", the Judenrat was established in this building along with all of its departments.
In September 1942, when the Jewish population of Lviv decreased by half, the Judenrat was relocated directly within the borders of the ghetto beyond the Lviv–Ternopil railway line.
Organizations
Sources
- Державний архів Львівської області (ДАЛО) 2/2/1060
- БТІ Львова, квартал №352.