Vul. Lychakivska – monument to the Soviet tankmen (does not exist)
The monument was a typical example of the Soviet marking of the public space with military symbols. It was established in 1945 on the main highway leading to the city from the east. In the early 1990s the tank was removed; a few years later the pedestal was dismantled as well.
A monument to the Soviet tankmen was installed in 1945 on the main highway leading to the city from its eastern outskirts. It consisted of an IS-2 tank (IS = Joseph Stalin) standing on a high pedestal with the inscription "Eternal Glory to the Heroes of the Guard Tankmen of the Army led by colonel-general Leliushenko, who fell in the battles for freedom and independence of the Great Soviet Fatherland" and a list of the names of the tankmen, who fell in the battle for Lviv in 1944.
The monument was a typical example of the Soviet marking of the public space with military symbols; monuments like this one were established in many cities of the Soviet Union.
The tank was removed in the early 1990s; several years later, the pedestal was dismantled.
The project was designed by V. Afanasiev, an artist and architect.
Media Archive Materials