Vul. Kleparivska, 29 – former Shooting Range
At the beginning of the 19th century there was a shooting range in a lush park on Kortumova Hill. Today a school sports stadium occupies the spot.
At the start of the 19th century, Ernst von Kartum – a provincial councilor – engineered the establishment of a park on a wide, leafy hill that his since been known in Lviv as Kartumivka (Kortumivka), (see Zhuk, 2010, p.83). Toward the end of the century, as befitting a garrison town, the city was pursuing an ambitious plan of military related construction, including firing ranges. In 1895, as military barracks were going up at 22 and 24 Kleparivska Street, a firing range for the infantry battalions was built (see Linda, 2008, 278; Międzynarodowe Zawody, 1931, 3). The design of the project has been credibly attributed to the architect Alfred Kamenobrodskyi (see Linda, 2008, 277-278). In the 1920s and 30s the firing range fell under the auspices of the 26th Infantry Regiment. Due to the efforts of the regimental command, the Polish Small Caliber Weapons Association (Polski Związek Broni Małokalibrowej) was established, and held its first shooting competition in 1924 (see Felsztyn, 1927, 10; Międzynarodowe Zawody, 1931, 6). In 1931, the inaugural World Sports Shooting Championship was held at the range (Międzynarodowe Zawody, 6), with Józef Kiszkurno taking the prize.
Following the war, the territory was turned over to the control of PrykVO Athletic Club, which maintained the facility until the mid-1950s. Among those who competed at the range are Dmytro Bobrun, Oleksandr Kryshnevskyi, Oleksandr Parkin, Mykola Bondariev, Liubov Kopylova, Nina Zherdieva, and Lviv’s first World Champion marksman, Mykola Kalynychenko.
The address of the shooting range was 29 Kleparivska Street, more than three kilometers from the city center. The complex consisted of eight pavilions containing 123 firing stations overall. The shooting pavilions were constructed of wood with brickwork floors, and were shaped like elongated rectangles. And they faced west: a distinct disadvantage to marksmen attempting to practice while looking into the bright, mid-afternoon sun, and so special roofs were erected to alleviate the problem. The range occupied nearly 500 m2 (Międzynarodowe Zawody, 1931, 19). Firing points were widely spaced, and included stations constructed of cement for shooting from a lying or kneeling position.
Mykola Kalynychenko. Lviv’s first Sport Shooting World Champion.
Józef Kiszkurno. World Sport Shooting Champion at the Inaugural World Championships to be held in Lviv, 1931.
Felsztyn, Tadeusz. Pogadanki o Zawodach Strzeleckich. Warszawa, 1927. 10. Print.
Kordiak, Julian. Champions Live in Lviv: Article Abstracts. Lviv: Kamenyar Publishing, 1980. 27. Print.
Linda, Svitlana. “Architectural Historicism (1840s-1890s).” Architecture of Lviv: Times and Styles. Lviv: Center of Europe Publishing, 2008. 277-278. Print.
„Międzynarodowe zawody strzeleckie, myśliwskie i łuczne.” Informator. Lwów, 1931. 3-257. Print.
Wądolkowski J. Międzynarodowe Zawody Strzeleckie. Warszawa, 1929. 1-85. Print.
Zhuk, Ihor. Levinsky’s Lviv: A Town and Its Builder. Kyiv: Grani-T Publishing, 2010. 83. Print.