Vul. Karmeliuka, 3 – Museum of the History of Medicine
In 1925–1943 a well-known Ukrainian doctor named Marian Panchyshyn (1882–1943) lived here. From 1944 through the 1960's Professor Tymophiy Hlukhenkyi, a rector of the Lviv Medical Institute, lived here. During 1960's–1970's a branch of the Institute of Applied Mathematical Sciences of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic as well as the City Infants Registration Hall were located here. In 1986 the Memorial Museum of Anton Manastyrski was opened on the villa's premises; the museum was under the oversight of the National Museum of Lviv. In 1990 the Director of the National Museum, Andriy Novakivski, gave permission to locate the expositions of the Museum of the History of Medicine of Galicia on the second floor of the building. In 1992, according to a decision of the City Council, the villa was rented to the Ukrainian Doctors' Union in Lviv to create expositions of the Marian Panchyshyn Museum of the History of Medicine here. In the same year a memorial plaque (by sculptor Emanuil Mysko) was installed on the façade of the building dedicated to opening of the Museum here.
The Museum's expositions include the following: Panchyshyn's memorial room of with authentic furniture and personal items (among them 16 books from Panchyshyn's library which were saved by Professor Stepan Martyniv from destruction in 1944); the history of the Ukrainian Doctors' Union; the "Narodna Lichnytsa" (People's Hospital, named after Metropolitan Andrej Szeptycki; the life story and activities of the State Secretary of the Western Ukrainian Peoples' Republic, doctor Ivan Kurovets; doctors of Galicia – members of the liberation movement and those who experienced repression; and the history of the Danylo Halytskyi National Medical University of Lviv. The Museum has about five thousand showcase pieces – mostly medical equipment and dishes of the late nineteenth-first half of the twentieth centuries and medical literature of the late nineteenth-beginning of the twentieth centuries.
The building was designed in the Art Deco style with elements of Carpathian folk architecture and the "Zakopane" style. It is a two-story plastered brick building. The interior has an enfilade layout. The interior has preserved a wooden carved staircase, a molded plafond and stucco ornaments on the ceilings; the floors are parquet. The composition of the main façade is asymmetric. The entrance portal – located on the right – is adorned with massive stone framing and wrought iron bars in the Art Deco style. On the left of the portal is an oval fanlight with wooden glazing bars in the Art Deco style. Similar glazing bars have been preserved in the windows of the main portal. A corner balcony protrudes on the level of the second floor; it is decorated with a wooden carved fence with wrought iron insertions. Its wooden carving has the character of Carpathian folk architecture while the fence is executed in the Art Deco style. The balcony is supported by corbels also created in the Art Deco style. Most of the building is topped off with a high four-sloped mansard roof. The central section of the building as well as the stair case protruding from the side of the northern wall are covered with a sloping wall and are crowned with a four-faceted fanlight with a tent covering. On the side of the main façade there is a skylight window with decorative framing carved in the roof surface. The roof is enforced by wooden corbels with carving characteristic of the "Zakopane" style.
The building is a vivid example of Lviv's residential architecture of the 1920's.