This building is the only theater in Lviv which represents the Functionalist style. It was designed and built as a theater (1938-39) and has retained its function till now.
The theatrical and artistic activities of Lviv's Jewish community are known from the 17th century. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, its continuous development was already represented in the space of the city by a number of permanent buildings. On Jezuicka (from 1871 Jagiellońska) street 11 performances were staged first in a wooden pavilion, which was designed by Salomon Riemer and built in the late 19th century. A permanent structure appeared here in the late 1930s. The owner of the plot, Maurycy Wurm, commissioned two architects, Władysław Bleim and Daniel Kalmus, to propose their designs. Each of them developed a proposal, and that of Kalmus was selected for implementation.
The architects were guided primarily by the conditions of the plot, its area was used entirely to build the theater. In both projects, the building's capacity is approximately the same. However, the layout, suggested by Kalmus, was better: it was easier to access the auditorium, the main and the evacuation staircases, the main hall with a cloakroom, the cafeteria and the lobby; the management premises were arranged separately from the sanitary ones; the film projector room and that of lighting and acoustic engineers did not protrude into the auditorium so much.
In his project, Daniel Kalmus managed to achieve a functional austerity and appropriateness of the building, without decorative details, but with an open exposure of aesthetic qualities of materials and structural elements. He used a combination of round and ribbon windows and rectangular doors; the lobby and vestibule space are arranged beyond the outline of the main plan, the end façade is symmetrical. Compared with the project designed by Bleim, the façades suggested by Kalmus were more suitable to the climate of Lviv: the auditorium, lobby, stage box are covered with sloping roofs. Due to this, the Functionalist-style building acquires a special regional character.