Vul. Halytska, 18 – residential building
The corner house on Halytska street 18 and Valova street 5 (old conscription numbers 334-336, new conscription numbers 303-305) was built in place of the dismantled walls of the Halytska gate. It embraced three parcels under the new conscription numbers 303, 304, and 305 with stone houses that belonged to different owners.
According to the resolution of the Lviv regional executive committee number 393 dated 22 November 1988, the house on Valova street 5 was entered into the local register of monuments under protection number 856.
1782 – the ground in the place of the Halytska gate’s dismantled walls is divided into parcels.
Before 1792 – houses are built on the parcels numbered 303 and 305.
1782 – a house is built on the parcel number 305.
Early 19th c. – all three houses are reconstructed as a single three-story stone house.
2nd half of the 19th c. – as a result of reconstructions, some changes are made in the planning and spatial structure of the house.
1865 and 1872 – some windows facing Halytska and Valova streets are converted to doors.
1873 – a three-story wing is built in the yard in place of an older single-story one.
1902 – a reconstruction of the house is made: the main entrance and stairs are moved from Halytska street to Valova street; the main stoop is remade as a front shop; the shop window is made five metres wider.
The house on Halytska street 18 and Valova street 5 (old conscription numbers 334-336, new conscription numbers 303-305) was built in place of the dismantled walls of the Halytska gate. It embraced three parcels under the new conscription numbers 303, 304 and 305 with stone houses that belonged to different owners.
In 1782 a public sale was held to sell the building parcels which were formed after the defensive wall had been dismantled. The plot number 335 (old numbering) or 304 (new numbering) was bought by the couple of Stefan and Marianna Komarnicki. In 1790 they sold their parcel to Maciej Krupski who also bought the neighbouring house number 303 from Dyzma Poruczkowski in 1792. Saddler Eliasz Świerkowski’s house (old conscription number 336, new conscription number 305), which was constructed in 1782, stood close to Komarnicki’s (later Krupski’s) house. After Eliasz Świerkowski’s death his widow Sofia asked the town to allocate the plot that adjoined the house; it was done in 1792. The plot was allocated for a term of thirty years, with the full right to dispose of it during this term and the possibility of subsequent renewal. This term was given to everyone who bought an emphyteutic (that is, belonging to the town) plot.
In 1797 Maciej Krupski sold his plot and houses (numbers 303 and 304) to Wojciech Pikulski. In the early nineteenth century all three houses were reconstructed as a single three-story stone house.
As a result of reconstructions carried out in the second half of the nineteenth century, some changes were made in the planning and spatial structure of the house. In particular, some windows facing Halytska and Valova streets were converted to doors in 1865 and 1872. A three-story wing was built in the yard in place of an older single-story one in 1873. A more essential reconstruction was made in 1902. The main entrance and stairs were moved from Halytska street to Valova street. The main stoop was remade as a front shop, so the shop window was made five metres wider.
The house is located in the housing of the quarter between Halytska, Staroyevreiska, Brativ Rohatyntsiv and Kravetska streets.
The house has four stories and three axes. The horizontally divided façade is crowned with a developed cornice decorated with dentils and modillions. The last two stories are decorated with lesenes. The entrance is shifted to the left; there is a sculpture of a swan over it. In the 1875 project the swan was situated in the middle. Arched bridgings have been preserved in the ground floor premises and in the cellar.
Wojciech Pikulski –
the houses number 303 and 304 owner (from 1797).
Dyzma Poruczkowski – the house number 303 owner (till 1792).
Eliasz Świerkowski – a saddler, the house number 305 (336 according to the old numbering) owner.
Marianna Komarnicka (Bojanowska) – Stefan Komarnicki’s wife, the plot number 304 (335 according to the old numbering) owner.
Maciej Krupski – the plot number 304 (335 according to the old numbering) owner.
Sofia Świerkowska – Eliasz Świerkowski’s wife, the house number 305 (336 according to the old numbering) owner.
Stefan Komarnicki – the plot number 304 (335 according to the old numbering) owner.
- State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO). Item 2/1/957.
- В. Вуйцик, Leopolitana II (Львів: Класика, 2012).
- І. Лемко, В. Михалик, Г. Бегляров, 1234 вулиці Львова (1939–2009) (Львів: Апріорі, 2009).