Vul. Fedorova, 25 – former residential building
The Kryvesivska townhouse was built in the 16th century in the typical style of that time. During its existence it was rebuilt, retaining traces of later developments, such as Gothic cellars and a medieval structure. It was dismantled in 1912 as a half ruined house, with the purpose of building a modern structure in its place. However, a new building was never erected. The parcel has been vacant so far. There were plans to build a hotel here.
16th century – the first masonry building was constructed.
1704 – the townhouse was badly damaged.
Early 17th century – the townhouse was reconstructed.
1863 – the shingle roof was replaced with a tin one (architect Josef Mühel).
1867 – the wing was reconstructed (the second floor added, architect Josef Mühel).
1912 – the townhouse was dismantled.
The townhouse on Fedorova street 25 was erected in place of a previous wooden house. It was built by Kost Rusyn in the 16th century and later was owned by the latter's son-in-law Achilla, a Greek. In 1601 the house became the property of Aron Rubinowicz, a Jew from the suburban Jewish quarter, and from that time on it was owned by representatives of the Jewish community. During the 1704 Swedish invasion the townhouse was severely damaged and then rebuilt by the then owner, well-known qahal burgomaster Zelman Pinkasowicz. According to the 1767 tax registry, the townhouse was called Kryvesivska (Pol. Krywesowska).
In the 1863 building file one can find a description of the old Kryvesivska townhouse: it was a four-storied building with wooden intermediate floors, interior (that is, overlooking the courtyard) balconies, stairs and a single-storied wing. The building's façade width was 9.9 m. In 1863 the townhouse's high shingle roof was replaced by a new tin one under a project designed by Josef Mühel. It was also under his project that the single-storied wing was reconstructed into a two-storied one. The building file informs that in the early 20th century the building needed a restoration. As Majer Bałaban pointed out , at that time it was "a tumbledown building, dirty and neglected, but interesting as it was the last of all old buildings on that side of Żydowska (Jewish) street". In 1912 the main building, owned by Isak Pancer, was dismantled for the purpose of building a new one. However, for unknown reasons, it was never built. Before dismantling the old townhouse was measured by architect Jakób Scheller. In the rear part of the plot, there was a wing, adjacent to the ritual bathhouse; it belonged to the qahal buildings on vul. Arsenalska, 7, which were owned by the Jewish hospital. It was to that wing that the slaughterhouse was moved from the dismantled qahal building on Fedorova street 27 in 1912. The slaughterhouse was located on the ground floor; above, some premises for the caretaker were added, which belonged to the plot number 25. The wing with the slaughterhouse, owned by Pancer, stood there till 1932, when it was dismantled, as required by the Magistrate in 1930, due to an emergency state.
The Renaissance-style Kryvesivska townhouse has been preserved in a drawing of Żydowska (Jewish) street, performed by Franciszek Kowalishyn in 1904. In 1944 Janusz Witwicki, a Lviv architect, designed projects of reconstructing the lost buildings of the Jewish quarter in Lviv’s historic center as of the 17th century for the project of the Panorama of medieval Lviv. This work was based on a rigorous research. Witwicki took measurements of the Kryvesivska townhouse surviving fragments.
The vacant parcel, where the Renaissance Kryvesivska townhouse with the wing had stood, was owned by Isak Pancer and the Jewish community (hospital) till 1939. In that same year the slaughterhouse ceased to function too.
In the Soviet times the vacant parcels (number 23, 25) were used as a utility courtyard where some temporary buildings belonging to the housing maintenance office were located. In the southeast corner of the plot, at the synagogue's northern wall and at the western wall of the Jewish ritual bathhouse with the mikvah (pool), there was a rectangular two-tier structure. It was built immediately after the war. The ground floor housed the communal enterprise workshops; upstairs, there was the caretaker's room. This building did not coincide in plan with the previous one, the slaughterhouse (shechita). It also was dismantled during the excavations as it had no historical and architectural value. Yet earlier, not far from that structure, at the boundary wall of the plot number 27, there were toilets, which were dismantled in the late 1980s. Almost the whole court of the communal enterprise was paved with concrete slabs. All the Soviet buildings were dismantled during an architectural and archaeological research conducted in 2009-2011 under the direction of Yuriy Lukomsky. Artifacts, found on this plot, reveal the stages of the parcel formation: a 15th century residential log house in the place of the later townhouse, log drainage wells, two wooden mikvoth (in the rear part of the parcel), one of them private (in the townhouse’s cellar), a well, paving stones, etc.
The four-storied house was built of brick and stone and had a three-tract spatial structure; it also had vaulted cellars, wooden intermediate floors, interior (that is, overlooking the courtyard) balconies, stairs and a single-storied wing. It was covered with a tin roof, replacing the previous high shingle roof. The building’s façade width was 9.9 m. The four-axis façade was symmetrical, with the central axis emphasized by a lesene. The ground floor was marked out with white stone blocks. Three entrances led to the two main buildings and to the gate. The main building was covered with a barrel vault; the gate had a lunette vault; the narrow room and the back building had sail vaults. In the second tract, a private wooden mikvah was located, discovered during an archaeological research.
In the courtyard on the north and south sides, there were balconies on each floor with entrances to the apartments.
Achilla – a Greek, son-in-law of Kost Rusyn, an owner of the building
Zelman Pinkasowicz – qahal burgomaster in 18th c., an owner of the building
Isaak Pancer – an owner of the building
Josef Mühel – architect and contruction master in the 2nd half of 19th c. who designed a reconstruction of the building's roof
Majer Bałaban – a Jewish Polish historian, orientalist, teacher, rabbi
Franciszek Kowaliszyn – a historian who drew a picture of the Renaissance building
Yuriy Lukomskyi – a contemporary architect-archaeologist who led architectural and arcaeological research on the parcels of the old Jewish quarter
Janusch Witwicki – a Lviv architect, author of the famous Plastic Panorama of Old Lviv
2. M. Bałaban, Dzielnica żydowska: jej dzieje i zabytki, T. III (Warszawa, 1990), S. 57.
3. Р. Могитич, "Ліктьовий податок", Вісник ін-ту Укрзахідпроектреставрація, 2009, Ч. 19.