ID: 2566
Building of Science and Culture of the Lviv Railway Roads


The building's official name is the House of Science and Culture of the Lviv Railway, but in the local toponymy it has another name, that of 'Roks,' as there used to be a cinema called Roxy. The building was designed by Romuald Miller, a renowned Warsaw architect, and constructed by Henryk Zaremba, a Lviv builder.

From 1918 Miller was the chief of the construction department of the Warsaw Directorate of the Polish State Railways. That is why he designed the Railway Workers Professional Society building in Warsaw, as well as a number of railway stations, for example, in Koło, Żyrardów, Lublin (reconstruction), Pruszków, Gdynia, Grodzisk Mazowiecki, Teresin, Radziwiłłów, Aleksandrów Kujawski, Konin (destroyed). In his projects both in Lviv and in other towns, the architect often used light-colored bricks.

For the construction of the club in 1929, Lviv received a ready-made project from the Directorate of the Polish State Railways in Warsaw. The site was chosen in place of the old Horodotskyi (Pol. Gródecki) cemetery. That is why the city building administration obliged the architect to cooperate with archaeologists, to gather all artifacts found during the works and to transfer them to museums. It was also required to amend the original drawings because they did not meet the standards of the 1928 Lviv Building Charter (Pol. Ustawa Budownicza). In particular, the entrance to the building was to be arranged from the side of the railway; the building was to be constructed at the distance of 6 meters from the cemetery. There was also an idea to include swimming pool with changing rooms and showers in the project.

The construction started in 1930 and went on slowly and with difficulties. In November of 1931 a ceiling support collapsed, causing the death of a worker. The construction was suspended; Henryk Zaremba had to give explanations in court. The situation was even more complicated as the architect witnessed at the same time in another case, that of the mysterious murder of his daughter Elżbieta (the so-called Gorgonowa Case). After paying fines the club was finally built and put into operation in 1937. Because of the delay, the idea of ​​the pool was not implemented; however, the finished building included a cinema and a gymnasium, a large vestibule with a booking office, two cloakrooms and a shop, four staircases, an assembly hall, a room for playing chess, a billiard room, a library and an apartment for the director.

Today, almost nothing remains in the interior from the time of the club construction, apart from the functional purpose of the building's premises.

Related Stories