Prosp. Svobody, 01-03 – residential building
This building is located on the corner of Kopernyka Street and Svobody Boulevard. It was built in two stages according to the project by an unknown architect: in 1809-1811 its left part was constructed (building No.1 from Kopernyka Street) and in 1821-1822 its right part was built (building No. 2). Initially the building belonged to the “J. Hausner and W. Violand” trade-banking company (it was also called Hausner House), and in 1845-1939 it changed ownership to the Land Credit Union. It is known that in 1853-1855 Austrian Archduke Karol Ludwig lived in this building, whose arrival in Lviv (then Lemberg) was welcomed by fireworks and a procession on the boulevard. The boulevard, on which the building is located was named after him. In the 1930’s Count Wojciech Diduszycki lived in the building over the “Palacy” Cinema. In the late 1940’s the fourth floor was added according to the project by the architect M. Mykula.
One of the reinforced sections contains reliefs by G. Wietwer entitled “Amour and Psyche” (two versions of the myth) and the other one has reliefs by A. Schimzer entitled “Aeneas Saves his Father” and “Paris Steals Elena.” A frieze with putti heads runs above the reliefs. Balconies supporting Doric columns and consoles in the form of Atlantes extrude at the level of the second floor of the reinforced sections. The building was designed under the influence of Viennese architecture of the early nineteenth century; the Empire decoration of its main facade is considered to be one of the most magnificent in Lviv.
Media Archive Materials