Vul. Stryiska, 133 – Lviv horse racetrack
Lviv hippodrome is located in the southern outskirts of the city, along the Stryiska road. This place where high-bred race horses are contested is unique in Ukraine. The hippodrome has a modern grass "green track" and the only in Ukraine photo finish system that allows recording the race results with an accuracy up to one thousandth second. Since 2008, annual all-Ukrainian horse shows have been held here.
The first hippodrome in Lviv was built near the Yaniv toll house in ca. 1840s (Orłowicz, 1925, 10). The horseraces had been taking place in the city since 1843. In the early 20th c., there was a track for horserace near Persenkivka, it was named after Jurjewicz. The old cycling track of Lviv Cycling Society was also used for horserace; which was built in 1906 according to the design by an architect Jan Stoberski (DALO 2/4/1265:24). In Soviet times, the old hippodrome was joined to the territory of the "Dynamo" stadium. Later, it became part of the area of Lviv Bus Factory. In 1968, it was liquidated due to expansion of the plant.
A new hippodrome in Lviv was built in 1977 at vul. Stryiska, 133. It functioned as a branch of Moscow hippodrome. Unlike the hippodrome in Moscow, the Lviv hippodrome had a grass cover, not a base coat. Here, race horses were trained for international shows. In the early 1990s, Ukrainian horse breeding decayed, and Lviv hippodrome became dilapidated.
However, in 2001, due to the visit of Pope John Paul ІІ hosted on the territory of the hippodrome, the facility was restored. In 2003, the race seasons resumed. Strong stud farms agreed to offer horses to Lviv hippodrome for contests. Since then, about 1000 horses have been contested at the hippodrome and many records set. Since 2008, annual all-Ukrainian horse shows have been held here.
The area of the hippodrome is 88.5 hectares. It places the stables for 200 horses and four race courses. Three main race courses (a race course with grass coating 1800 m long, and 30 m wide; a sand course 1600 m long, and 20 m wide; sand-and-gravel course 1500 m long, and 15 m wide) allow holding contests for runners and for riding horses. In addition, there is also a separate temporary base (unsurfaced) track used for training.
Visitors of the hippodrome can be accommodated at the stand with 300 seats (including 260 sitting places); they can enjoy a café, a bar, and a parking lot. The hippodrome also runs a forage farm to meet their needs, in the village of Cherepyn in Pustomyty district, Lviv region, with the total area of 415.2 hectares.
Jan Stoberski — an architect.
- State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO) 2/4/1265
- M. Orłowicz, Ilustrowany przewodnik po Lwowie (Lwów–Warszawa, 1925), 10, 136.