Vul. Staroievreiska, 26 – former Pokorovychivska townhouse
The Pokorovychivska (Pokorowiczowska) house (conscription no. 336) was for two centuries the residence of noted Lviv architects and constructors who had influenced its appearance: Adam and Jan Pokorowicz, Ambroży Przychylny, Andrzej Bemer, Jan Poprawa, Jan Herbut Wygodny and Józef Dublowski. Due to various reconstructions the house has reached our time in modified condition; however, the old ground floor and cellars have been preserved. According to the resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Ukrainian SSR number 442 dated 6 September 1979, the house was entered in the National register of monuments under protection number 1300.
1611 – a
townhouse is constructed by Pokorowicz and Przychylny in the place of an old
one from the 16th c.
1746 – the Pokorovychivska house is substantially reconstructed in the Baroque style by constructor Jan Herbut Wygodny; the original house’s vaulted ground floor and cellars have been preserved.
Late 19th c. – a reconstruction is carried out; a zinc-coated tin roof with small roof windows in the façade wall is made.
1933 – shop windows are arranged during an adaptation of the ground floor premises for shops.
1940s – the ground floor premises are adapted for apartments.
Early 1990s – a footwear shop called Malva is opened in the ground floor premises.
This townhouse was called Pokorovychivska and was a home for several generations of representative Lviv architects and constructors for two centuries. Its history is known due to Volodymyr Vuytsyk, a noted expert in Lviv’s history.
At the turn of the 17th century this parcel located on Zarwańska street (its present-day address is Staroyevreyska street 26) was occupied by a townhouse which belonged to Martin Brzemiński and, consequently, was called Brzemińska. The townhouse was also known as Sholtsivska (Szolcowska) as merchant Jan Szolc’s daughter, Katarzyna, was Martin Brzemiński’s wife. In 1605 the house was bought for 2 thousand guldens by noted Lviv constructors, Italians by birth, Ambroży Przychylny and Adam de Larto nicknamed Pokora. These two architects were on friendly terms from the time of their arrival in Lviv and always accompanied each other in their professional activities. After Ambroży Przychylny sold his house situated on Harbarska (now Drahomanova) street in the Halytske suburb in 1611, he and Pokora started to reconstruct the newly purchased townhouse. At the same time they were constructing a corner townhouse called Klopotivska (Staroyevreyska street 28) for Tomasz Karcz, a member of the town council of Lviv.
After Adam Pokora died in about 1638, his part of the townhouse was inherited by his son Jan (Giovanni) known under the patronymic of Pokorowicz and by his daughter Katarzyna who was the wife of Mikołaj Silwestri, an architect. Young Pokorowicz was a constructor like his father. When he died on 10 November 1645 it turned out that he had not left a will causing thus serious problems for his household (four daughters) in dividing the property. The Pokorovychivska house was divided by a commission convened by the Magistrate on 7 May 1646. Apart from Pokorowicz and Przychylny, in the early 17th century some parts of the Brzemińska house were owned by Andrzej Bemer, a constructor who built the old Lviv town hall tower, and Jan Francyskin, known under the guild nickname of Poprawa, who managed stone quarries and lime ovens in the Briukhovytsky forest near the village of Holosko. When still alive, Jan Pokorowicz made over a part of his townhouse to the St. Lazarus hospital while his sister Katarzyna made over a part of her inherited house to the Corpus Christi Brotherhood under the Cathedral in 1654.
Pokorowicz’s heirs owned the townhouse on what was then called Zarwańska street till the 18th century. In the 1740s the house was inhabited by Jan Herbut known also under the guild nickname of Wygodny. It was from his name that the house became called Herbutivska. Vygodny reconstructed Lviv buildings, in particular, the Darmukhivska townhouse situated on the present-day Katedralna square 3 and the monastery of St. John the Baptist. It was also he who built the Holy Trinity printing house on Teatralna street 5. In 1745 Herbut divided his townhouse between his sons-in-law, Michał Pichowicz and Antoni Rudzicki, who were married to his daughters, respectively, Dorota and Regina. The house was substantially reconstructed in 1746. In 1751 Rudzicki sold his part to Yakiv Antonovych, an Armenian, who was the senior of the goldsmiths’ guild for a long time.
As Yakiv and his wife, Rozalia Antonovych (nee Seferovych), died childless, their part of the house was inherited by Mykhaylo Avakovych and later, 1770, by Josyf Dublowski, a guild constructor. The other part of the house, which had belonged to Pichowicz, became owned by the Brotherhood of the Rosary existing under the Latin Cathedral. This part was bought from the Brotherhood by Jan Ratyński, a member of the town court, and Andrzej Andzułowski, a merchant and wine trader. The following year they sold it to Józef Dublowski who thus became a sole proprietor of the whole townhouse.
Józef Dublowski was a rather active constructor who worked both in Lviv and in the province. He built and reconstructed several houses in Lviv, in particular, the neighbouring Boni townhouse (no. 24) in 1791. In 1781 Dublowski sold Pokorovychivska (or Herbutivska) house to Mikołaj Wartanowicz, an Armenian, who eight years later sold it in his turn to Lejzor Neustein. From 1789 the house was continually inhabited by Jewish families.
It is not known what the house looked like in the time of Przychylny and Pokorowicz. Its original appearance has been lost due to reconstructions. In the late 19th century the inflammable roofing was replaced with a new one made of zink-coated tin. The high roof with lucarnes was then made lower; small roof windows were cut in the façade wall. In 1933 shop windows were arranged while adapting the ground floor premises for shops. In the Soviet time the ground floor was residential; a footwear shop called Malva was opened in the premises located on the right in the early 1990s.
The house, three-storied and rectangular in plan is locatedin the street’s row housing. It is built of brick and plastered and stands on stone foundations. The house has preserved the three-part and three-tract structure typical of medieval buildings. The rear house has survived on this parcel as well. The three-window symmetrical main façade is vertically divided by rusticated lesenes, with rectangular windows between them. The windows are decorated with shaped trimmings having linear pediments and rosettes on the second floor; the third floor windows have window sill mouldings supported by consoles. The plastered ground floor is accentuated by a cornice between the tiers. The axis is emphasized by a narrow segmental gate with a grated upper part. There is a rectangular window to the left of it and an entrance to the shop, located in a wide segmental opening, to the right. The entrance door is rectangular and has a herringbone pattern on it. The façade is topped with a cornice. The house has a double-pitched roof with small roof windows on the façade. The ground floor premises and cellars are vaulted.
The building has preserved the character of a Renaissance-style townhouse with later stylistic developments dated to the 18th-19th centuries.
Adam (de Larto) Pokora – a
noted Lviv constructor, an Italian by birth.
Ambroży Przychylny (Vaberene Nutclauss) – a noted Lviv constructor, an Italian by birth.
Andrzej Andzułowski – a merchant and wine trader.
Andrzej Bemer – a Lviv constructor who owned a part of the townhouse in the 17th c.
Antoni Rudzicki – Jan Herbut’s son-in-law, a co-owner of the townhouse.
Dorota Pichowicz – a Lviv citizen, Jan Herbut’s daughter.
Jan (Giovanni) Pokorowicz – a Lviv constructor who owned a part of the townhouse.
Jan (Francyskin) Poprawa – a manager of the stone quarries and lime ovens in the Briukhovytsky forest near the village of Holosko.
Josyf Dublowski – a guild constructor who owned the house from 1770.
Katarzyna Brzemińska – Jan Szolc’s daughter who owned the old townhouse.
Katarzyna Silwestri – Jan Pokorowicz’s daughter, the wife of architect Mikołaj Silvestri.
Lejzor Neustein – an owner of the house from 1789.
Martin Brzemiński – a Lviv citizen who owned the old townhouse on the present-day Staroyevreyska street 26 in the 16th and early 17th cc.
Mykola Vartanovych (Mikołaj Wartanowicz) – an Armenian who owned the house in 1781-1789.
Mikołaj Silvestri – a Lviv architect, a co-owner of the townhouse in the 18th c.
Mykhaylo Avakovych (Michał Awakowicz) – a Lviv citizen who inherited the townhouse.
Michał Pichowicz – Jan Herbut’s son-in-law, a co-owner of the townhouse.
Regina Rudzicka – a Lviv citizen, Jan Herbut’s daughter.
Rozalia Antonowicz, nee Seferowicz – a co-owner of the townhouse.
Tomasz Karcz – a member of the town council of Lviv who owned the Klopotivska townhouse (Staroyevreyska street 28).
Yakiv Antonovych (Jakob Antonowicz) – an Armenian who was the senior of the goldsmiths’ guild and co-owned the house.
Jan (Herbut) Vygodny – a Lviv constructor who owned the townhouse and reconstructed it in 1746; it was from his name that the house became called Herbutivska.
Jan Ratyński – a member of the Lviv town court.
Jan Szolc – a Lviv citizen and merchant.
1. State Archive
of Lviv Oblast (DALO) 2/3/146.
2. Central State Historical Archive of Ukraine in Lviv (CDIAL) 186/8/629.
3. Вуйцик Володимир, "Будівельний рух у Львові другої половини XVIII ст.", Леополітана (Львів: Класика, 2012).
4. Вуйцик Володимир, "З історії львівських кам’яниц", Леополітана (Львів: Класика, 2013).
5. Мельник Б., Довідник перейменувань вулиць і площ Львова (Львів: Світ, 2001).
6. Мельник Б., Шестакова Н. "Кам’яниці Львівського середмістя", Наукові записки. Львівський історичний музей, 2008, Випуск XII.
7. Могитич Р. "Ліктьовий податок", Вісник ін-ту Укрзахідпроектреставрація, 2009, Ч. 19.
8. Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры УССР, Т. 3. (Київ: Будівельник, 1985), 72.