Vul. Khmelnytskoho, 028 – St. Nicholas Church
In the original variant (the end of the thirteenth century) the church combined the Byzantine-Ruthenian planning structure with western (Roman) construction techniques and was an example of the old Galician architectural school. Later rebuilding occurred in the seventeenth century (the emergence of Baroque elements is connected with the reconstruction of that time), the nineteenth century and in the period of 1924-1925 (restoration).
St. Nicholas church is a small building of the cross-cupola type and is located in the oldest part of the city. The church has three apses, three naves and is crowned with two cupolas. It is built from stone. Hewn white limestone slabs in the construction of the apse date back to the thirteenth century. The portal is on the western façade. The windows are semicircular.
The church's icons date back to the seventeenth century.
The entry was developed within the project "Galiciana", 2001-2002
Author - Ihor Zhuk
Media Archive Materials