Pl. Rynok, 40 – former Zukhorovychivska/ Zuchorowiczowska townhouse
The house known from tax registers as “Zukhorovychivska” (“Zuchorowiczowska”) was built on the northern side of the Rynok square on a plot whose limits were not substantially changed after the location time. Between the old boundary walls, the main house stands, as well as a courtyard and a back wing. The house has a three-tract planning structure. The cellars have preserved some remains of Gothic brickwork, but the base of the building consists of walls dated to about 1772. The symmetrical four-window façade indicates the influence of the architecture of the time of Emperor Joseph II. Expressive late Baroque atlants under the balcony are made in the style of Johann Pinsel’s sculptures. The house is an architectural and urban planning monument of national significance under protection number 326/40. It functions as a residential one; a gallery of historic military uniform and a souvenir shop are arranged on the ground floor.
The house, located on the Rynok square and later marked with number 40 “to facilitate orientation”, in the 1767 Lviv tax register appears as the “Zukhorovychivska” house (CDIAL 52/2/812:30; 52/2/813:24; see also: Charewiczowa, 1935, 40; Мельник, Шестакова, 2008, 142; Могитич, 2009, 28; Капраль, 2003, карта 1).
The mentioned house was constructed in the place of an older building; some fragments of this building’s Gothic brickwork have been preserved on the cellar level (Трегубова, 1969, 152). It is known that in the late 1560s the house that stood on this plot was owned by the rector of a school arranged under the Catholic cathedral. Kaper Guliński, a Lviv citizen, became a new owner of the house in about 1582. After Guliński, in the course of the 17th century, the families of the Zuchorowiczs (it is from their name that the historic name of the house is derived), Gordons, Boims lived there. In the 18th century, separate parts of the house were owned by Datsko, a gold embroiderer, Andrzej (Andriy) Demjanowicz, a furrier, Jan (Ivan) Złotorowicz, a magistrate clerk, as well as by the Lviv Stauropegian Brotherhood and the St. Onuphrius Basilian monastery (Вуйцик, 2004, 132-133).
In 1771 the sole owner of the “Zukhorovychivska” house became Anton Dejma, a royal postmaster and a member of the Stauropegian Brotherhood, who bought the appropriate parts of the house from Złotorowicz’s heirs and from the Basilian fathers. Preliminary inspections carried out in 1769 and 1770 ascertained that the house was in an emergency condition and under the threat of collapse; consequently, Dejma bought it when it was almost ruined. That is why a substantial reconstruction was started which must have been finished by 1772. As a result, the house got the shape which has basically been preserved till today. In documents composed in the time of Dejma, it is mentioned as “newly built from foundations”. At the same time, the names of its constructor and sculptor remain unknown. Having reconstructed the old “Zukhorovychivska” house, Anton Dejma sold it rather soon for some reason. According to the act of sale made up in 1773, the house passed into the hands of Ludwika Trembińska, the wife of the Lublin “sub-judge” (Вуйцик, 2004, 133-134).
A century later, in 1873, Anna Gabriel and Andrzej Lunda, the then co-owners of the house number 40 on the Rynok square, carried out a restoration of its façade (DALO 2/2/3685:1). For a rather long time, from 1900 till the 1920s, the house was owned by the Glixelli family (DALO 2/2/3685:10, 13, 28). In 1927 a narrow single-storied wing was attached to the house in the courtyard; a restaurant kitchen was arranged there (DALO 2/2/3685:40). According to archival documents, Dmytro Druzhbiak became a co-owner of the house in the late 1920s (DALO 2/2/3685:40, 43).
Until the Second World War, the conscription number 59 (historical center) was assigned to the house number 40 on the Rynok square.Now the house is an architectural and urban planning monument of national significance under protection number 326/40. It functions as a residential one; a gallery of historic military uniform and a souvenir shop are arranged on the ground floor.
The house number 40 was built on the northern side of the Rynok square on an elongated plot; the limits of the plot were not substantially changed after the location time, and its shape is standard for Lviv’s Rynok square. Between the old boundary walls, the main house stands, as well as a courtyard and a back wing. The building is a part of the perimeter housing of the northern Rynok quarter.
The house has three stories and an attic half-story built on the back part of the main block. The symmetrical four-window façade indicates the influence of the architecture of the time of Emperor Joseph II. Spaces between windows on the level of the second and third floors are filled with broad lesenes accentuating vertical division. The lower part of the façade wall is laid with hewn stone; two portals are situated on the edges where the entrances to the shops are made. The windows and portals have segmental tops. There is a balcony on the second floor in the center, with the main entrance to the house underneath.
The balcony’s plastic decorations indicate some late influences of the Rococo style which showed themselves in Lviv till the last decades of the eighteenth century. Expressive late Baroque half-figures of atlants which support the balcony cantilevers are made in the tradition of Johann Pinsel’s sculptures. Volodymyr Vuytsyk mentioned that, stylistically, the “Zukhorovychivska” house resembles the house number 3 on the Rynok square (Вуйцик, 2004, 134).
Despite a substantial reconstruction carried out in about 1772, the interior planning of the main house has preserved signs of the original three-tract planning structure: we can see a frontal tract of rooms facing the Rynok square, a back tract from the side of the courtyard, and a staircase between them (Памятники градостроительства, 1985, 60).
Instead, some patterns of brick spread in the time of Gothic architectu re were found in the cellars. Tetiana Trehubova claims that the medieval “cross” brickwork system has been preserved here (Трегубова, 1969, 152).
Andrzej Lunda – a co-owner of
the house number 40 on the Rynok square who carried out a restoration of its
façade in 1873.
Andrzej (Andriy) Demjanowicz –a furrier, a co-owner of the house in the 18th c.
Anna Gabriel – a co-owner of the house number 40 on the Rynok square who carried out a restoration of its façade in 1873.
Anton Dejma – a royal postmaster and a member of the Stauropegian Brotherhood who owned the house from 1771 and reconstructed it substantially.
Boims – a family that lived in the “Zukhorovychivska” house in the 17th c.
Glixelli – a family that owned the house from 1900 till the 1920s.
Gordons – a family that lived in the “Zukhorovychivska” house in the 17th c.
Datsko – a gold embroiderer, a co-owner of the house in the 18th c.
Dmytro Druzhbiak – a co-owner of the house from the late 1920s.
Zuchorowiczs – a family that lived in the house in the 17th c.; from their name the name of the house is derived.
Jan (Ivan) Złotorowicz – a magistrate clerk, a co-owner of the house in the 18th c.
Johann Pinsel (Jan Jerzy Pinzel) – a Galician sculptor on the mid-18th c. who founded the Lviv sculptors school.
Kaper Guliński – a Lviv citizen, a co-owner of the “Zukhorovychivska” house from 1582.
Ludwika Trembińska – the wife of the Lublin “sub-judge” who owned the house from 1773.
- State Archive of Lviv Oblast (DALO). Item 2/2/3685
- Central State Historical Archive of Ukraine in Lviv (CDIAL). Item 52/2/812:30.
- CDIAL 52/2/813:24.
- Łucja Charewiczowa, Czarna kamienica i jej mieszkańcy: Z 33 ilustracjami w tekscie. Biblioteka Lwowska, t. 3. (Lwów, 1935, reprint 1990)
- Володимир Вуйцик, Площа Ринок, 40, Володимир Вуйцик: Вибрані праці: До 70-річчя від дня народження, Вісник інституту "Укрзахідпроектреставрація", (Львів, 2004, ч. 14), 132-135.
- Мирон Капраль, Національні громади Львова XVI–XVIII ст.: (соціально-правові взаємини) (Львів: Піраміда, 2003).
- Борис Мельник, Н. Шестакова, Кам’яниці Львівського середмістя, "Наукові записки. Львівський історичний музей", Випуск XII (Львів, 2008), 133-158.
- Роман Могитич, "Ліктьовий" податок 1767 року у Львові: Ідентифікація забудови за сучасними адресами, Вісник інституту "Укрзахідпроектреставрація", ч. 19 (Львів, 2009), 22-34.
- Памятники градостроительства и архитектуры Украинской ССР: 3 том. (Київ: Будівельник, 1985).
- Трегубова Т., Нове про архітектуру середньовічного житла на площі Ринок у Львові, "Українське мистецтвознавство", Випуск 3, (1969), 150-157.