Vul. Kopernyka, 40 – "Rusalka Dnistrova" Museum

ID: 208
The bell tower of the former Church of the Holy Spirit (presently the Museum of "Rusalka Dnistrova," a branch of the Lviv Art Gallery). The tower served as a bell tower of a former seminary’s Greek Catholic Church of the Holy Spirit, which was rebuilt in the nineteenth century from the Baroque Roman Catholic Church of the Barefoot Carmelites; the latter was erected in 1729. The church was destroyed during the Second World War and only its bell tower has been preserved. In 1987, museum premises were added on the west.

Architecture

This stone building is square in its foundation, three-tiered, with a Baroque top and vases hewn from stone standing on the corners. Each of the tiers is flanked with pilasters and semi-columns, while the windows have semicircular tops. A clock (dating to 1786 and repaired in 1987) is located on the tower.

Related Places

Description

Vul. Kopernyka – Monument to Markian Shashkevych

Show full description

Personalities

Sources

The entry was developed within the project "Galiciana", 2001-2002


Material compiled by Ihor Zhuk

Media Archive Materials

Related Pictures