Vul. Horodotska, 032 – st. Anne's church

ID: 198
Former Roman Catholic St. Anne church was built on a plot of land that was located a long distance from the old city walls to the northwest of the historical center of the city. The church is located at the intersection of the current Horodotska and Shevchenka streets. A building housing what used to be monastery chambers is built onto the church’s southern side. The church was built in 1673 with reconstruction taking place in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries; the dome of the tower was added in 1927 (by the architect Bronisław Wiktor). The building is constructed on the site of an older church that dates back to 1505.

Architecture

The plastered stone and brick building represents a type of single nave church with the altar directed to the west. It has an octagonal three-tier tower over the façade that is crowned with a dome. The church has a gable roof with a spire and a vaulted ceiling. A presbytery adorned with pilasters has been added in front of the tower. The semicircular window openings are trimmed with profiled moldings.

After the restoration work done in 1997, the interior of St. Anne's Church was newly decorated.

Related Places

Description

Show full description

Sources

  1. The entry was partially developed within the project "Galiciana", 2001-2002, by Ihor Zhuk
  2. Львів. Туристичний  путівник. – Видавницво: Центр Європи. – Львів, 1999. – С. 258.
  3. Вуйцик В. С., Липка Р. М. Зустріч зі Львовом. Львів: Каменяр, 1987. – С. 80.
  4. Lwów. Ilustrowany przewodnik. – Lwów: Centrum Europy. – Wrocław: Via Nowa, 2001. – S. 148-149.
  5. Orłowicz M. Przewodnik po Lwowie. – Lwów. – 1925. – S. 152.
  6. Tygodnik ilustrowany. – Lwów, 1914. – № 8.
  7. Czasopismo techniczne. – Lwów, 1912. – №18.
  8. Schneider A. Encyklopedya do krajoznawstwa Galicyi pod względem historycznym, statystycznym, topograficznym, orograficznym, geognostycznym, etnograficznym, handlowym, przemysłowym, sfragistycznym etc. etc. Tom pierwszy zebrał i wydał Antoni Schneider pod opieką zebranego ku temu celowi z grona obywateli krajowych Komitetu. – Lwów, 1868–1871. – Z drukarni Zakładu Narodowego im. Ossolińskich. – Lwów, 1868–1871.
  9. Józefowicz T. Kronika miasta Lwowa od roku 1634 do 1690. – Lwów, 1854.
  10. Zimorowicz J. B. Pisma do dziejów Lwowa odnoszące się. – Wyd. dr. Korneli Heck. – Lwow, 1834. – Leopolis triplex (Kronika miasta Lwowa. – Tłum. M. Piworskiego).

Material compiled by Khrystyna Kharchuk and Ihor Zhuk

Media Archive Materials

Related Pictures