Pl. Rynok, 02 – former Bandinelli palace

ID: 142
The building is one of the best examples of late Renaissance architecture in Lviv. Its construction goes back to the end of the sixteenth century, with reconstruction work done in 1737-1739. The building is a prime example of the city’s palace architecture from the Renaissance period. Its traditional name, Bandinelli Palazzo, comes from the last name of its early owner. The building occupies a corner lot on the eastern side of Rynok Square. The northern façade is on Stavropihiyska Street.

Related Stories

Architecture

The building is a prime example of the city’s palace architecture from the Renaissance period.  The building’s plan has an elongated outline that is situated on an east-west axis. It is a three-storey structure that has façades horizontally segmented with wide lines of entablature and a developed cornice flanked by rusticated pilasters. The exterior draws attention by means of its white stone décor.

The windows have pilasters on their sides, are topped-off with cornices, and are completed with decorative masks. The first floor windows are enhanced with ornamental reliefs that contain stylized images of dolphins. The main portal is decorated with half columns.

In the interior authentic carvings on the columns in between windows have been preserved.

Sources

The entry was developed within the project "Galiciana", 2001-2002

Media Archive Materials

Related Pictures